Lake Lucerne boat cruise & Glacier Express train

• zulfee2018
    Participant
    6 posts
    28 December 2017 at 4:46:53 #813885

Hello

Thanks.I have been much benefited from your website.

I am travelling with my family on April 2018. Can you advice me as how best is to take (time needed) for a boat ride in Lucerne? Also how to book to enjoy a ride in the Glacier express . For a few hours ride which will be the best route from Lucerne? Is necessary to go to Zermatt? As we will be in Lucerne for 3 days. I intent to take a Swiss rail pass, so both the rides will be free I suppose?T

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 December 2017 at 6:14:24 #873278

Hi Zulfee,

Lucerne is not an ideal base to experience the Glacier Express unless you want to spend at least 7 hours in a train.

You don’t need to go to Zermatt. You can join the Glacier Express at Brig or Zermatt.

Attachment 1 shows the route to experience the Oberalp Pass (which I wold say is the best part).

Attachment 2 shows the route for the other way round. See also http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere

You will find timetable for Lake Luzern cruises is at http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Yes, Glacier Express and Lake cruises are “free” with Swiss Travel Pass but you will need to buy a mandatory seat reservation on the Glacier Express.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2017 at 2:11:45 #873279

Hello Zulfee,

If you don’t want to spend all day on a train here’s a different option to consider for an excursion from Lucerne. http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/steepest-funicular-in-the-world-luzern-area

You could even consider taking a lake cruise Lucerne to Brunnen, train to Schwyz and then the funicular to Stoos. Only problem is that the funicular appears to be scheduled to close for maintenance from 3 April and re-opening on 28 April so the timing may not work for you.

Cruise to Brunnen or even to Flüelen and train back to Lucerne is still an option.

zulfee2018
    Participant
    6 posts
    30 December 2017 at 6:11:46 #873280

Thanks for the suggestion.

But as I have seen and read from your links, it seems for both the Glacier express trip and the travel to the Alps- Jungfru region, we need to climb to mountains at an altitude, so as i will be travelling with a infant, plus at 2nd week of April, because for the weather, both the things seems not very conducive for me.

I also know that these two are the best parts of swiss, for afirst time traveller llike or me, sill can you suggest some area avoiding the peaks of the mountains?

Thank you once again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 December 2017 at 6:30:55 #873281

I’m no expert on travelling with infants. Opinions seem to vary on what age it is safe to take children to the high Alps. Perhaps it is best for you get an opinion from your doctor before travelling?

You can always visit the Jungfrau region and visit Wengen or Mürren. Both of which are very scenic without going up to the high Alps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 December 2017 at 1:49:25 #873282

>> it seems for … the Glacier express trip … we need to climb to mountains at an altitude, so as i will be travelling with a infant, plus at 2nd week of April, because for the weather, both the things seems not very conducive for me … can you suggest some area avoiding the peaks of the mountains?

I don’t think there’s any need to avoid taking the Glacier Express on the basis of altitude (though there may be logistical reasons why it isn’t the best choice). The temperature inside the train will be comfortable, and the train is only at an elevation of over 2,000 metres for a very brief time.

Please see attached diagram of the elevation profile for the Glacier Express route.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Lake Lucerne boat cruise & Glacier Express train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.