Jan 12, 2017 - 10:32 AM
First of all thanks a lot for all the useful information this site and forum provides.
My husband and I are planning a trip sans kids, that is we want to make the best of the short time we have. We can start our journey departing from Zurich on Sunday, Jan 19 around 4 pm and must be back in Zurich by Wednesday, Jan 26 at noon to catch our flight home. Since we are visiting relatives, we can always return to Zurich and spend the night there during this time. We already visited Luzern, the Titlis and the Zurich area in the past.
We have a huge wishlist but currently it looks like it will be snowing a LOT, i.e. cloudy. So the main question is if any of the items on our wishlist make sense in bad weather. If not, what alternative plans can you suggest? We plan on purchasing the relevant 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. Here is what we would like to include and the places where we would like to stay.
- We do not want to ski but want to go on at least one snowshoeing hike (we've never done that). We are both experienced runners (completed several half marathons) so we are in good shape.
- We want to take a panorama train but don't know which one/how to best combine them with the rest of our plans. Glacier Express - all of it or part of it? We also consider taking the Bernina Express but really don't want to spend the night in Tirano and the journey back from there to Zurich strikes me as too long.
- Zermatt : We'd like to sleep here 1-2 nights. Gornergrat or Kleines Matterhorn, which to you recommend? What to do there? Matterhorn Museum? Glacier Paradise? Recommended snowshoeing/winter hiking trails? What else do you recommend?
- Grindelwald: We consider sleeping here one night, depending on how it fits into our travel plans. Snowshoeing/winter hiking trails? Jungfraujoch? What else do you recommend doing there? Does it make sense to visit Lauterbrunnen and the waterfalls in winter? Can you get there by train/public transport?
- St. Moritz/Celerina: Is it worth adding this area as sleepover? If so, would there be time to do something in this area and what do you recommend?
I'd appreciate any help/recommendation you can give me.