How to reach Mt. Rigi from Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 1:31:06 #812518

Hi,

I have read some of articles and threads in the forum, but I’m not too clear.

So, I have 1,5 day in Lucerne and want to reach mt Rigi.

1. what is the best option route ? I want to have hiking also. is it :

Lucerne to Vitznou by train

Vitznou to top of Rigi by Cogwheel train

top of Rigi to Rigi Kaltbald by walk (how long is it take? any better trail for hiking?)

Rigi Kaltbald to Weggis by cable car

Weggis to Lucerne by boat

2. How much it will cost ? and what better/cheap pass that I should have ?

Thank you very much,

Prisca

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 10:31:54 #866246

Hi Prisca and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Have you read our web page on how to get to Mt. Rigi? It explains the route and a popular option to add in some hiking there as well.

You can use the Swiss Timetable here to find the ticket cost for the trip.
    Whether it is worth it to buy a pass will depend on what other train trips you are planning while in Switzerland. Have a look at the rail pass options here and let us know!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2017 at 1:29:36 #866247

Hi Lucas-

<<“You can use the Swiss Timetable here to find the ticket cost for the trip.”>>

Is it not true that the prices that first show in the timetable are, in general, for people with half-fare cards, since most Swiss residents have one? That is, they are discounted fares….?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 July 2017 at 6:01:28 #866248

That’s true. However, it’s explained on the timetable page, under “How to find ticket prices”.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2017 at 8:53:29 #866249

Hi Arno-

<<“However, it’s explained on the timetable page, under “How to find ticket prices”.”>>

Occasionally, we have found that people do not read that information. Probably, I am just being overly cautious. ;-(

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 9:07:00 #866250

Hi, Lucas.

Thank you for the response. yes I have read (almost) all the articles, maybe I got confuse especially regarding the pass. but let me check it out again

Cheers,

Prisca

• The thread ‘How to reach Mt. Rigi from Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.