Rent car in Switzerland without original license?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2019 at 20:48:25 #823299

Hi,
    I had booked a car rental in Zurich back from my home city dubai
    Unfortunately I forgot my Dubai driving license original but have an IDP and copy of my Dubai license. But the rental company refuse to give me a car citing lack of original license from dubai. I depsrately need a car as all my plans are based on having a car especially since I am traveling with a toddler and senior citizens. Anything I can do to get a car with my license copy?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 August 2019 at 4:53:20 #919604

Hi Kk Aqua,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I’m so sorry to hear that! I have no experience with this, but I do not think there’s a way around it. You can call another rental company and ask, but I would be surprised if they rent a car without the actual drivers license. The police may want to see it as well while you are driving.

If you have someone back home who can courier your license to Switzerland, then that’s an option if you feel safe doing so. Otherwise traveling by public transport is your best alternative. There are very few itineraries where a car is required. The trains are often the more flexible, convenient and safer way to travel. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain. If you want to go for this option, please share your travel plans (dates, destinations, day trips, travelers and ages), so we can help you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2019 at 6:49:59 #919605

Thanks Arno. Will try n modify my itinerary and reach out for any help if I get stuck. Thankfully we stay at Engelberg fairly close to the station.

Thanks once again n will post updates on my plans

• The thread ‘Rent car in Switzerland without original license?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.