How to reserve seats on the Glacier Express train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 1:55:47 #815125

Hi all,

I’m trying to reserve some seats on the Glacier Express. We can’t purchase them yet as they are not available until 2months prior to our dates.

We will be getting a 30day Swiss Half fare card but have not purchased it yet.

I’m confused as to how to reserve the seats on the Glacier Express. I’ve selected dates and seats, and now at the screen where I enter the traveler’s details. There is a dropdown list for “Reduction” which lists all the different travel passes. But I can’t see the Swiss Half Fare Card listed here. There is a “Swiss Half Fare Card and Half Fare Card Combo” listed though – is that the one I need to select?

I’m really worried i am going to inadvertently book us with the wrong fare, and then it not be valid when we go to travel!

Thanks so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 2:42:51 #880816

Hello drutherford,

There is a “Swiss Half Fare Card and Half Fare Card Combo” listed though – is that the one I need to select?

Yes.

You can make reservations 90-days out and use the “Own Ticket” reduction. Then you will just pay the reservations fee. You can then buy your ticket from SBB on-line or any train station in Switzerland. There is no rush to buy the ticket once you have secured a seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:05:19 #880817

Thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate it!

So just to confirm I understand – I don’t need to select the Half fare Reduction at this point, as all I am doing is reserving? Instead, I select “own Ticket” reduction – choose our seat and pay the reservation fee (43CHF per person – is that right?).

And then when we are closer to the time of travel, that’s when we can go and purchase the actual ticket either online at SBB, or when we get to Switzerland?

Thanks again, for your help, it’s so confusing!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:16:44 #880818

You got it.

Did you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math before deciding on a Swiss Half Fare Card?

Happy travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:23:17 #880819

Hi

Yes we did see that, and my partner downloaded the spreadsheet and did the calculations. It’s abit tricky as we are in Switzerland for 30days – so might have to get a few passes (still sorting that out to make a decision)

Cheers

Debbie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:24:17 #880820

Oh and thank you! (Sorry, pressed send before saying that 🙂 )

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 6:09:25 #880821

Hi drutherford,

The Swiss Half Fare Card is usually a good option for longer trips. Combining it with a few regional rail passes is a good idea as well (you get discounts when purchasing some regional passes if you have the Swiss Half Fare Card as well).

See regional rail passes here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 17:35:26 #880822

Good Morning ! It seems to me some of you guys have a lot of experience around Switzerland !!! I’m a nurse from the states , I have 3 boys 27,22,13 . I have never been to Switzerland but we want to go maybe next year around September or October. We want to do most of the outdoor staff like hiking, see the alps, lakes, etc etc . I have no idea what city to stay in or how to move around from all of the posts here I’m interested in Zurich or Interlaken. What do you guys think??? where should I base myself on those activities???I do appreciate any insight in the matter . I still have lots of time to plan our adventure!!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 17:54:47 #880823

Hi Matha and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We try to have a little knowledge here – it’s a group effort!

To better help your trip, please start your own thread. This way you get specific help. Members may not find your post here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 13:28:59 #880824

Ok Lucas, thank you am kinda new to this but I surely wil open my new thread in the mean time I will keep on doing my research .

• The thread ‘How to reserve seats on the Glacier Express train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.