Best of Swiss Alps in 4 days by car or train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 9:28:05 #814140

Dear Team,

We are a family of 5 adults & 2 girl kids(aged 4 yrs & 11yrs),planning a 4 day trip of Switzerland in mid June.We willl arrivee at basel airport and departure again from basel. Planning to take care hire as we are a large family with kids. We mainly want to visit jungfru, and maybe titlis, plus one more glacier area. Kindly advise which all areas can be easily covered bycar without the use of much public transport. Where we should keep our base. Though the cost of a 7 seater car + 5 HFC (to get discounted tkts for jungfru & titlis) & 3 days Swiss pass for adults would almost be the same, I would still prefer car for ease of convenience. Kindly advise best itinerary for us.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 12:09:29 #875082

Hi Sankalp and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If the adults have Swiss Half Fare Cards then the 11 year old can travel for free everywhere you go with the free Swiss Family Card add-on (the 4 year old needs no pass or ticket). This is the same if you buy the Swiss Travel Pass which is another option for you. That may change your math a bit?

Are you planning on staying in Basel all 4 nights and traveling out from there?

I’d be tempted to stay in Lucerne and use the rail system from there. On top of Mt. Titlis and Jungfraujoch perhaps a trip to the Glacier 3000 (https://www.glacier300 0.ch/en) near Gstaad would be nice as well. You can take the Golden Express route there as well.

Read more about pros/cons of travel by car vs. train in Switzerland here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 13:08:04 #875083

Thanks dear Lucas for the post. I am planning to keep my base within 30 to 45 mins driving distance from Interlaken. Accommodation in Interlaken/ luzern/ lauternbrunnen will cost higher, considering we are a group of 7, so will look for a place in slight remote area which is accessible by car. Please suggest if you know any such place. I have heard that public transport is excellent in Swiss but I still want to cover most by car to avoid hassle of changing trains/ buses with small kids. Not sure if I can get free / cheaper parking at Interlaken for jungfrau or near cable car station for titlis or other public places which needs to be explored by cable car/ boat/ train.

Pls suggest some itinerary basis above.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 17:24:15 #875084

I’ve never seen free or even cheap parking in Switzerland so beware of that!

I’m not too familiar with smaller villages near Interlaken but a town like Thun or Brienz is quite nice and quite close.
    If you are looking for holiday rentals / chalets for your group have a search here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 18:51:54 #875085

Is the excursion to mt TITLIS AND GLACIER 3000 are almost same?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 19:42:25 #875086

Well they both have gondolas to get you up to the top. So they are similar in that regard. Is that what you meant by the excursion being similar?

As for activities at the top they both have a fair bit to do – read through the links I gave you earlier to see which one appeals more to you personally.

• The thread ‘Best of Swiss Alps in 4 days by car or train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.