How to take Golden Pass from Interlaken to Luzern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 9:29:34 #814730

Hi Sir / Mdn,

I am facing difficulty to search more detail about the timetable for golden pass line. As we are planning to book for the Golden pass line from Interlaken OST to Lucerne for morning train on 14-April-2018, but we couldn’t find a website to reserve the seats for this trip.

Could anyone advise me how to use Swiss travel pass to reserve the seat for Golden pass line from Interlaken OST to Lucerne?

Is Golden pass line opened for service on 14-April-2018?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 9:58:11 #878566

Hello Thomas,

You don’t need a reservation. with a Swiss Travel Pass just hop on and go. The Luzern – Interlaken Express, part of the Golden Pass Line, runs hourly.

If you desperately feel the need for a reservation go to http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/seat-reservations.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 15:06:42 #878567

Hi Thomas,

it’s my first time and i am facing difficulty too.

You said i dont need reservation, but my doubt is about panoramic train, with swiss pass. Isn’t necessary?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 16:39:23 #878568

Hi Anula,

It’s not really needed. If you prefer to have seat reservations you can use rockoyster’s link or this one: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages.

A kind reminder, the “golden pass” panoramic trains are noted on the timetable as MOB Panoramic or Belle Epoque. Other standard trains run on this line as well so on the timetable you want to pick a train marked with the names above to ensure you are on a panoramic train.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 19:40:32 #878569

Hello Analu,

My response to Thomas was specifically about Lucerne to Interlaken. Reservations between Zweisimmen and Montreux, where the MOB trains run, are recommended in tourist season. Due to construction work reservations are not possible on that section between 19 March and 1 June.

Reservations are mandatory on other panoramic trains like the Glacier Express and Bernina Express and Gotthard Panorama Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 3:11:58 #878570

Hello Rockoyster,

I have tried the link you have given to me, but all of the timetable listed which are via Bern or Bern and Olten. So the golden pass panoramic train is not a direct train from interlaken to Luzern? We need to change the train in Bern? Are all train belong to panoramic train under this service line?

I have checked the link below to search for the timetable which tell the same result. http://www.goldenpass.ch/en/g oldenpass/horaire/inde x

So for example as per the attached SS, we just need to get in the 9.00am golden pass train toward Bern, and change another golden pass train from Bern to Luzern. It sound like it is an usual train we are able to check the timetable from SBB.

Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 March 2018 at 4:43:28 #878571

The Luzern – Interlaken Express does not go via Bern. Try adding via Meiringen. They depart at 4 minutes past the hour.

Actually it looks like there is some construction on the line from 3 April to 29 April. Timetable is showing a substitute bus between Giswil and Horw. That’s probably why you can’t reserve seats. The bus trip takes 25 minutes then you rejoin train at Horw.

It look like you can (if you really, really want to) reserve Interlaken to Giswil but no further. Horw station is only 5 minutes from Luzern. Don’t know why they wouldn’t run the bus right into Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 5:14:28 #878572

>> Actually it looks like there is some construction on the line from 3 April to 29 April.

Yes, this came up recently: see my post of Feb 19, 2018 – 4:50 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/goldenline-track-closed-for-our-tour

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 5:23:35 #878573

>> So the golden pass panoramic train is not a direct train from interlaken to Luzern?

Yes, it is (usually).

The stops on this sector of the route are:

• Luzern
    • Sarnen
    • Sachseln
    • Giswil
    • Kaiserstuhl OW
    • Lungern
    • Brünig-Hasliberg
    • Meiringen
    • Brienz
    • Interlaken Ost

As rockoyster mentioned, reservations aren’t possible during the period 3-30 April 2018, because part of the route is affected by construction work, and you will transfer from the train to a bus for a short distance to get around the construction site, before boarding a train again to continue the journey to Interlaken Ost.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 16:09:24 #878574

Dear Alpenrose & Rockoyster,

Thank you for your reply.

As I will be taking the opposite from interlaken to Lucern. Could you advise me which part of the station will be affected?

Is it from interlaken Ost to Giswil? Then we take bus to skip the construction site to Horw and which station we continue the golden pass to Luzern?

Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 March 2018 at 19:53:27 #878575

You will be on a train from Interlaken Ost to Giswil Station, then bus to Horw Station then train to Luzern.

SBB staff will direct you where to change.

• The thread ‘How to take Golden Pass from Interlaken to Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.