How to travel by train from Sondrio to St Moritz

How to travel by train from Sondrio to St Moritz

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ausvaltellin
Ausvaltellin
2 posts
May 1, 2018 - 5:35 AM

I am going to be in Sondrio for a number of days in June. I would like to do a train trip from Sondrio to St Mortitz and return to Sondrio on the same day by the Bernina Express or other train service. I have found out that the Bernina express does the round trip St Moritz - Tirano - St Moritz on the same day; but cannot find any information to tell me if a Tirano - St Mortiz - Tirano trip is also available. It appears that at the beginning of my journey I will have to use a regional train from Sondrio to Tirano, and to complete my journey I will have to again use a regional train from Tirano to Sondrio.

Any advice would be welcome.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3394 posts
expert
May 1, 2018 - 7:10 AM in reply to Ausvaltellin

Hello Ausvaltellin,

Sondrio to Tirano is only a 30 minute ride. Check www.trenord.it/EN/. For some reason it doesn't show connections in June but it does for May so not sure what is going on there.

For Tirano to St Moritz you can go Bernina Express regular trains in either direction. Use the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) to see what options suit your timeframe. The Bernina Express is denoted BEX on the timetable.

If you travel on the BEX you need to reserve seats as well has buying a ticket or having a Swiss Travel Pass. Regular trains you don't have to reserve seats.

See www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info for bookings and official BEX timetable.

Ausvaltellin
Ausvaltellin
2 posts
May 2, 2018 - 8:31 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hello rockoyster,

Thanks for your help. Purchase of BEX ticket was easy. Purchase of ticket from Trenord is a different story. It still has not been emailed to me more than 24 hours after online purchase. I would recommend caution in purchasing tickets from outside Italy from Trenord. I suspect I will have to purchase from a ticket office or auto ticket machine after I arrive in Italy.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018