How to travel by train from Sondrio to St Moritz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 5:35:12 #815644

I am going to be in Sondrio for a number of days in June. I would like to do a train trip from Sondrio to St Mortitz and return to Sondrio on the same day by the Bernina Express or other train service. I have found out that the Bernina express does the round trip St Moritz – Tirano – St Moritz on the same day; but cannot find any information to tell me if a Tirano – St Mortiz – Tirano trip is also available. It appears that at the beginning of my journey I will have to use a regional train from Sondrio to Tirano, and to complete my journey I will have to again use a regional train from Tirano to Sondrio.

Any advice would be welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 May 2018 at 7:10:55 #883771

Hello Ausvaltellin,

Sondrio to Tirano is only a 30 minute ride. Check http://www.trenord.it/EN/. For some reason it doesn’t show connections in June but it does for May so not sure what is going on there.

For Tirano to St Moritz you can go Bernina Express regular trains in either direction. Use the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) to see what options suit your timeframe. The Bernina Express is denoted BEX on the timetable.

If you travel on the BEX you need to reserve seats as well has buying a ticket or having a Swiss Travel Pass. Regular trains you don’t have to reserve seats.

See http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info for bookings and official BEX timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 8:31:42 #883772

Hello rockoyster,

Thanks for your help. Purchase of BEX ticket was easy. Purchase of ticket from Trenord is a different story. It still has not been emailed to me more than 24 hours after online purchase. I would recommend caution in purchasing tickets from outside Italy from Trenord. I suspect I will have to purchase from a ticket office or auto ticket machine after I arrive in Italy.

• The thread ‘How to travel by train from Sondrio to St Moritz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.