How to travel from Rome to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 23:46:24 #824429

We are wanting to travel by rail from Rome to Switzerland. With only three days, including travel, I am thinking that the Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen area might be the most interesting. We will be traveling on a Wednesday thru Friday in February – so traveling in the winter is also a factor. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the Interlaken area in one day by train? We would spend one full day in the area and return to Rome on Friday. It appears that the three day rail pass might be best. Any thoughts?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 0:02:22 #924955

Rome – Interlaken – Rome for one day full day within Switzerland is a highly unusual and very challenging plan. I don’t think I’ve heard this attempted before. Are you sure it would be worthwhile?

Roma – Interlaken is quite a long journey. The quickest current timing is 6.5 hours (one train a day) and other trains can take up to 8 hours. You may be so tired from a long trip that you would not enjoy your day in Switzerland.

I’m not sure a Swiss pass would work very well as you would only be within Switzerland for one full day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 0:19:34 #924956

Yes, I realize this is a quick trip but we only have three days available and need to back in Rome Saturday am. If it is too complicated, we may make other plans within Italy. We simply wanted to see Switzerland even if for a short time. We were considering the 7 hr. train ride as part of the adventure and a time to relax and watch the scenery. Still not sure how best to get to the Lauterbrunnen area the most efficient way – or if it’s the best choice for the time limitation. ??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 5:57:53 #924957

I am definately no expert in Europe travel, but travelling for 16hours (2 way) for only 1 day is not a good choice.

I understand the urge to see Switzerland and i love Switzerland but still u need to utilize your time for the best instead of putting too much in travelling

As you mentioned yourself, better to stay in ITALY, as you may find tons there and why not Italian Dolomites/Alps (Bolzano, Tyrol)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 6:39:03 #924958

Hello JohnK and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Although the idea is quite unusual it isn’t impossible to do. Find out about travelling times for the trip you’re thinking to do by using the timetable provided below:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It will allow you to calculate if it’s worth it for you or not to take that trip to come to Interlaken.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken

Travelling needs are very individual and train journeys can be very relaxing and scenic.

Regarding the rail pass, I suggest you read below links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 23:55:29 #924959

A long train journey both ways might sound like a relaxing prospect, but it will actually also be tiring. Also, trains from Italy to Switzerland are notorious for running late which may badly affect your plans. This does not matter so much for people arriving in Switzerland for a longer stay, but it would affect you worse on such a brisk trip.

It would be much better to make a separate holiday trip to Switzerland at some point.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2019 at 1:07:35 #924960

Thanks to all for your responses. I was also concened with the connections so will alter our plans to either stay in Italy or at the most travel to Brig and over to Zermatt. I believe those connections are easy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2019 at 0:10:27 #924961

Yes, slightly easier, but you have to take the same international EC trains , and I was in Visp for 2 weeks in April this year and the train from Italy was frequently late.

• The thread ‘How to travel from Rome to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.