Can't buy a ticket to Lucerne from Frankfurt

Can't buy a ticket to Lucerne from Frankfurt

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
onielson
onielson
1 post
Sep 7, 2017 - 11:16 PM

Hello,

I am trying to travel by train from Frankfurt to Lucerne on September 15th 2017. I already have a Swiss Travel Pass, so I understand that I only need to get to Basel and then I can use my Swiss Travel Pass to get to Lucerne. I've tried to buy a ticket from Frankfurt to Basel on multiple rail websites (Bahn, Trainline, RailEurope), but all of the sites say that tickets are not available. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, or if I need to get into Lucerne a different way. Thank you!

O. Nielson

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1231 posts
top member
Sep 8, 2017 - 12:23 AM in reply to onielson

Hi O. Nielson, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What date are you trying to buy a ticket for? The current timetable period is only valid until 9 December 2017. After that, a new timetable comes into force for the next 12 months. So at present, tickets can only be booked up until 9 December.

The new SBB timetable, valid from 10 December 2017, will be available online from 18 October. The date might vary by a few days for the Deutsche Bahn website, but will be around that time.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
rockoyster
1048 posts
top member
Sep 8, 2017 - 12:55 AM in reply to onielson

Hello O,

Maybe the attached notice (from DB website) is causing some strife with the on-line timetables. Looks like you won't be able to get a direct ICE train between Frankfurt and Basel on your travel date.

DB site offers routing via Stuttgart but it adds a lot to the trip. Also a bus connection between Ratstatt and Baden-Baden. See image 2.

Last modified on Sep 8, 2017 - 12:58 AM by rockoyster
Please login to see the attached documents
Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1231 posts
top member
Sep 8, 2017 - 3:13 AM in reply to rockoyster

>> Maybe the attached notice (from DB website) is causing some strife with the on-line timetables.

Yes, that is much more likely the problem. I overlooked the fact that the OP's travel date is on 15 September.

It is still possible to buy a ticket for the trip on the Deutsche Bahn website though.

Alpenrose

Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Sep 8, 2017 - 1:15 PM in reply to onielson

Yes, that rail closure is crazy and causing such a mess! I'm losing faith in German engineering these days ;) (they are digging underneath the lines and it partially collapsed....and that line to Frankfurt is a busy one!)

In any case you should still be able to buy a ticket as Alpenrose noted (the trip will jut be re-routed). I just bought a ticket for early October just fine- let us know if you still can't.

Lucas

Last modified on Sep 8, 2017 - 1:15 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017