How to upgrade to 1st class on a 2nd class STP

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 2:48:56 #816035

How much extra in US$ would it cost to upgrade from 2nd to 1st on the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur and could it be done online at the time of booking?

Thanks, Reppalc

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 May 2018 at 2:54:19 #885496

Do you mean you are travelling with a 2nd Swiss Travel Pass and want to upgrade to 1st Class?

The yes and it will cost you half the difference between the 1st and 2nd class fares. You can find the fares using SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

When you make a reservation you make it for 1st class.

You can buy a route specific class upgrade at any Swiss station prior to boarding the GEX. Or you can buy on line at bit.ly/2JJxcrF or using the SBB Mobile App.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 8:49:37 #885497

thank you very much for your response…

and for bernina express from chur to tirano, does any one knows if it worths? what is the real difference?

thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 18:17:44 #885498

Hi Alexodash,

Both are great but I think they are somewhat similar trips. The Glacier Express is twice as long as the Bernina Express if that has any impact on your choice.

Have a read through the link above to get a fuller description of the trips and what you will see.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 May 2018 at 20:45:31 #885499

Did you mean the difference between GEX and BEX or difference between 1st and 2nd Class?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 23:38:39 #885500

yes, the difference between 1st and 2nd class? because the price is almost the double….

thank you very much

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2018 at 0:00:46 #885501

Well the views are much the same. In 1st Class you get some more space. Whether it is worth it will depend person to person. I travelled in 1st Class when I did the BEX and enjoyed it very much.

How much is the price difference as a percentage of your overall Swiss visit budget. Probably not much I would guess. And if you have a Swiss Travel Pass the price difference is not that much really.

Maybe read this thread.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 3:36:23 #885502

Thank you very much rockoyster

so, just to understand. I bought a 2nd class STP. but if I want to travel on 1st class on bernina express from chur to tirano, the only thing I need to do is to pay the reservation as 1st class? and how can i pay the difference of the ticket? at the train station before boarding the train?

thank you again

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 May 2018 at 6:05:28 #885503

If you want to travel on the Bernina Express in 1st Class you need a seat reservation PLUS a class upgrade. You can in fact buy the class upgrade at the station before you board.

You can reserve seats at bit.ly/2Kq1uQq. During the booking process you can nominat you have an STP so you then only pay the seat reservation charge.

• The thread ‘How to upgrade to 1st class on a 2nd class STP’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.