How to use Swiss Travel Pass?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
ccathy
ccathy
10 posts
Jul 7, 2018 - 8:40 AM

Hi, i'm new to all of this especially travelling in Switzerland, this is my first time. We will be getting Swiss Travel Pass of 3 days, can i know how do we use it? Do we still need to book/purchase train tickets if we already have the pass? Does the pass come in PDF and we can bring the printed copy? Or do we need to get the tickets from train station?

Lucas
Lucas
9644 posts
expert &
Jul 7, 2018 - 3:44 PM in reply to ccathy

Hi ccathy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Once you have the Swiss Travel Pass, most of the time you'll just hop on the train, bus or cable car or boat and go. You show the pass when asked to. This would be for all trips that are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, noted on the PDF map and our list here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Any mountain or trip not fully covered by the pass (discounted 25 or 50% for example) a ticket will have to be purchased before getting on the train.

Be sure to read our page on how to use the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ howtouse

It is more convenient to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online. It can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass). https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Jul 7, 2018 - 6:10 PM in reply to ccathy

Be sure to have your passport on you when traveling with the STP - on (rare?) occasion you will be asked to present it to verify who you are. It did happen to me once or twice on a recent trip.

ccathy
ccathy
10 posts
Jul 8, 2018 - 1:27 AM in reply to pvonk

Hello pvonk, so you have been to Switzerland once or twice or more than that? Cool! Thinking of going to Lauterbrunnen on 23.12.2018, to watch the waterfall of course but does the fall still happen during winter? Or we should just skip Lauterbrunnen and visit Grindelwald instead?

ccathy
ccathy
10 posts
Jul 8, 2018 - 1:32 AM in reply to Lucas

Thank you so much for the reply.

Would you mind if i ask again (if someone has already asked this before). How do i get from Grindelwald station to Grindelwald village. We will be there for a one day trip on 23.12.2018. Does Grindelwald snow in December? Is it fine to visit Grindelwald during that time?

pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Jul 8, 2018 - 1:35 AM in reply to ccathy

Cathy, once or twice on a recent trip, been there off and on starting 72 years ago!

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jul 8, 2018 - 7:11 AM in reply to ccathy

>> Thinking of going to Lauterbrunnen on 23.12.2018, to watch the waterfall of course but does the fall still happen during winter?

Yes, it should be flowing in December, unless unusually cold weather has frozen it, but it will only be a trickle. It is at its best in spring, when the waterfall is fed by melting snow.

>> Or we should just skip Lauterbrunnen and visit Grindelwald instead?

I would definitely visit both Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. The Staubbach Falls is not the only notable thing in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The whole valley is a magnificent sight, and shouldn't be missed in any season!

If you only had one day in the Jungfrau Region, I would prefer Wengen and/or Mürren over Grindelwald, as I think they are more pleasant for strolling around. If you do the Mürren circuit as suggested in rockoyster's post of May 16, 2018 - 8:53 PM on the following page, you will also experience the beauty of the Lauterbrunnen Valley:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/first-time-travelers-in-switzerland-for-5-nights

There is a picture with the route marked on this page:

www.bellevuemuerren.ch /english/getting-there/

>> How do i get from Grindelwald station to Grindelwald village.

Grindelwald station is right in the village. Just start walking along the main road.

The photo on the following page is looking back to the railway station from the village shopping centre. The railway station is the building with the clocktower in the middle of the photo:

www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald

There is a cafe up near the Grindelwald-First gondola valley station where you can eat with great views of the mountains. I haven't been there myself yet, but this is it:

www.cundm-grindelwald.ch/en

>> Does Grindelwald snow in December? Is it fine to visit Grindelwald during that time?

It sometimes snows there in December. When I was last there, at Christmas in 2016, there was no snow in the village, and very little up at First, but last year they had an early heavy snowfall, and a white Christmas. It is fine to visit in late December, but you will of course need to be warmly dressed.

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jul 8, 2018 - 7:12 AM by Removed user
ccathy
ccathy
10 posts
Jul 8, 2018 - 9:00 AM in reply to Removed user

Thank you so so so much! By the way, how do i catch goldenpass train provided i have STP? Are they the same train station?

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jul 8, 2018 - 11:01 AM in reply to ccathy

>> By the way, how do i catch goldenpass train provided i have STP? Are they the same train station?

The Golden Pass route has three sectors:

• Luzern to Interlaken Ost via the Brünig Pass (called Luzern-Interlaken Express in the Swiss Timetable)
  • Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen (sometimes with a change of train at Spiez)
  • Zweisimmen to Montreux (Only trains on this sector have the panoramic windows that extend into the ceiling. They are identified in the Swiss Timetable as MOB Panoramic. Reservations are not compulsory, but are recommended except in low season. Reservations cost CHF 5 per seat.)

Trains running on the Golden Pass route use the same railway stations as "normal" trains. The Swiss Timetable will tell you what platform the train will leave from.

Which sector/s of the Golden Pass would you be doing? The whole trip is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

There is more information here:

www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Alpenrose

Last modified on Jul 8, 2018 - 11:02 AM by Removed user
maizon
maizon
33 posts
Jul 19, 2018 - 1:46 AM in reply to pvonk

Hi pvonk,

I already get the swiss pass by e-mail.But my name is not in full name maybe because of my name is too long.Is it OK? I ask them about this by e-mail but no reply.

pvonk
pvonk
60 posts
Jul 19, 2018 - 2:00 AM

@maison - If you asked "them", I'd wait for a reply. Is the name you used close to your passport name? I would hope so. Be sure to have it with you when on the train as they may ask you for it.

Last modified on Jul 19, 2018 - 2:01 AM by pvonk
maizon
maizon
33 posts
Jul 19, 2018 - 2:49 AM in reply to pvonk

My last name is correct but my first name missing some word maybe not enough space.Others detail like passport no is correct.

Lucas
Lucas
9644 posts
expert &
Jul 19, 2018 - 6:06 AM in reply to maizon

If your last name is correct as is your passport # that should be just fine. I'd guess it is an issue of space on the rail pass. I'm sure you will get a reply from the company you bought it from to confirm.

maizon
maizon
33 posts
Jul 19, 2018 - 6:32 AM in reply to Lucas

Yes Lucas.I also hope so....I still not get answer from happyRail.I e-mail 2 times,leave message in their website and also tweet the company,but no response.

Lucas
Lucas
9644 posts
expert &
Jul 19, 2018 - 11:25 AM in reply to maizon

Strange as they normally reply within 4 hours or soon during business hours.

But you will be fine in your case. It happens with long names :)

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018