How/where to show Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:01:32 #816801

I have read on this Forum that I must show my Swiss Travel Pass at the ticket window to be validated or risk a fine of 180 Euros!! I have also seen posts that say I only need to show the pass when on board the train. Which is it? How do I show that I have a Swiss Travel Pass, and therefore a paid customer?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 June 2018 at 17:43:43 #889022

Hi Den,

Validation is a thing of the past mostly, that needed to be done once before your very first trip. You may have read that in an old forum post. Nowadays you’ll receive your pass via e-mail and print it at home. You simply board the train and only show the pass on request, which is during the ride and not when boarding. Please find all up to date information here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse.

Purchase options are listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

Fines will be in CHF, not Euro’s, but you won’t be fined with a valid Swiss Travel Pass.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 21:22:04 #889023

We just returned from Switzerland. We bought our Swiss Travel Passes at the tourist location at the Zurich train station (instead of online) and let me tell you (1) well worth it and (2) only ONE TIME in four days did anyone ever ask us for our train ticket! We rode the train many times, hopped a boat in Thun (we showed the pass there just so we didn’t have to pay) but I was shocked that we almost go through the whole trip and nobody asked to see it! Just my two cents.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 23:39:40 #889024

We were asked each time for tickets or Swiss Travel Pass in May. On our first trip we were asked to show our passports also.

I read we needed a valid ticket or pass to transport luggage ahead to another train station, but were not asked to provide it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 6:09:04 #889025

I think I made 1 trip to Luzern where I wasn’t asked to show my ticket which I was surprised at.

But to be asked only once in 4 days of travel is indeed very strange!

• The thread ‘How/where to show Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.