Humorous indoor Swiss type 'wanderweg' sign

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
1960man
1960man
2622 posts
top member
Mar 24, 2020 - 8:50 PM

Sadly, I can't link it here as I found it as a 'share' on Facebook, but worth looking out for an amusing internet post (posted on Twitter originally I believe) showing someone who has created an indoor Wanderweg sign, with directions to living room, kitchen, bathroom etc (walking times in seconds). It is very funny if you can find it.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7360 posts
expert
Mar 25, 2020 - 12:41 AM in reply to 1960man

<<"an indoor Wanderweg sign, with directions to living room, kitchen, bathroom etc (walking times in seconds). I"

>>

Hmnn....is it all on one floor? If not, do they allow extra time for ascending and descending stairs.....which the regular Wanderwege do not allow for on hills, as far as I can tell.

;-)

Slowpoke

Peterli
Peterli
1077 posts
top member
Mar 25, 2020 - 5:57 AM in reply to Slowpoke

<< extra time for ascending and descending stairs.....which the regular Wanderwege do not allow for on hills, as far as I can tell.>> But they do allow for hills, both going up and going down ! The times they state are without stops, but if you walk more slowly or stop for breaks or to eat or take photographs, your time will clearly be longer. Have a look around the following link: www.schooltrip.ch/fr/serie-de-lecons/module-4 Je suis navré that it is not in English, but if you prefer to study it in German, look at www.schooltrip.ch/de/lektionsreihe/modul-4 Take a look at the 4b pdf: Calculer le temps, or Zeitberechnung. You may find the other five modules of interest as well !

Last modified on Mar 25, 2020 - 6:15 AM by Peterli
Pauly
Pauly
8 posts
Mar 25, 2020 - 7:15 AM

Good morning to you all!

Indeed a very funny way to go for a hike - and a nice alternative to the "armchair travelling" we are forced to do in these times! I found the link on Facebook - it has been posted by Schweizer Wanderwege: www.facebook.com/SchweizerWanderwege.SuisseRando/posts/2852346524845180

Let us share as many travel stories as possible on this forum - let's get inspired by them and let's keep on planning our trips. The people in the Alps will need us…

Best regards!

1960man
1960man
2622 posts
top member
Mar 26, 2020 - 12:27 AM in reply to Pauly

That's the one - well found thank you. I couldn't make a link out of Facebook work

Annika
Annika
6216 posts
expert &
Mar 26, 2020 - 9:25 AM

Thanks for sharing! What a nice example of uplifting Swiss humour :-).

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7360 posts
expert
Mar 26, 2020 - 1:22 PM in reply to Peterli

<<" But they do allow for hills, both going up and going down ! The times they state are without stops, but if you walk more slowly or stop for breaks or to eat or take photographs, your time will clearly be longer.">>

Hi Peterli - Have not yet looked at the links. No doubt the one in German would be instructive.

However, I have an empirical measure to lllustrate my point.

If I walk a trail on fairly level, or level ground, perhaps in the Mittelland, I take approximately the same time as the time indicated on the Wanderweg sign.

If the territory is hilly...as in the Emmental.... I take much longer than the indicated time. (It is not caused by pausing for photography. That certainly can add time). From that personal and subjective observation, I have developed a hypothesis for further testing:

"The Swiss walk just as fast up and down hills as they do on level ground."

A related , less clearly defined thought, not yet a hypothesis, is -

"In Switzerland, a level trail may have ascending and descending stretches of considerable length, at grades of up to at least 1 in 10."

Since the two are not easy to reconcile, I stick with the hypothesis.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 26, 2020 - 1:30 PM by Slowpoke
Peterli
Peterli
1077 posts
top member
Mar 27, 2020 - 12:51 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

<< Hi Peterli - Have not yet looked at the links. No doubt the one in German would be instructive. >> When you do have some spare time (you must have some these days), take a look at Zeitberechnung in the German language link I sent you. It even has diagrams and then quizzes to make sure the children (and adults) have grasped everything.

As for your suggestion that << "The Swiss walk just as fast up and down hills as they do on level ground." >>, I think that this all depends more on age and physical conditioning. As you know, the Swiss are a nation of walkers and it is always nice to see young families out there, sometimes even when the youngest is still in a stroller. So I would say that the average Swiss is more fit than many non-Swiss. I recall back in October of 2018 when we were walking down the top section of the Neisen, what seemed like a twenty-something girl went by us a much greater speed. She paused to say hello and asked if we were okay, as we had stopped to relax for a moment or two. Later on we found her sunning herself in a nice, flat, grassy open spot. We didn't ask her if she was okay, and continued on, and a bit later, she zoomed by us again, on the somewhat level part going to the Schwandegg "middle" station. In case you are ever going up or down this section, the red arrow on the attached map shows that location to stretch out and sun-bathe, perhaps even take a short snooze and gather your energy.

Last modified on Mar 27, 2020 - 1:00 AM by Peterli
Please login to see the attached documents
Peterli
Peterli
1077 posts
top member
Apr 9, 2020 - 6:41 AM in reply to 1960man

<< That's the one - well found thank you. I couldn't make a link out of Facebook work >>

Nor could I, perhaps they are not permanent ? In any case, I found this (attached image), which I think is the same. Top one is Kinderzimmer.

Last modified on Apr 9, 2020 - 6:42 AM by Peterli
Please login to see the attached documents

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020