Hut to Hut – Grindelwald to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2015 at 4:04:35 #807084

I have been working to narrow down a hut to hut route from Grindelwald to Murren for four nights, but am really unsure of what huts are along this route, if any. I am flexible in terms of adding or shortening the distance based on how much time will allow with the trip. I am also very interested in spending one night at the Obersteinburg Inn.

Can anyone suggest routes to take in this area that would lead me to huts in which I could stay overnight?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    17 April 2015 at 6:05:55 #842509

Hi BrianMc,

Our website offers day hike suggestions here. These can be part of the routes you may wish to include. Huts can be found on sac-cas.ch. With four nights, you have plenty of time and I suppose you can do a detour. A start could be Grindelwald to First to Faulhorn (a hotel) to Schynige Platte. The best time for such hikes is July to September.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    17 April 2015 at 17:16:56 #842510

Excellent suggestion about the First to Shynige Platte detour, scenery wise.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2015 at 21:08:59 #842511

[quote]Annika said:

Hi BrianMc,

Our website offers day hike suggestions here. These can be part of the routes you may wish to include. Huts can be found on sac-cas.ch. With four nights, you have plenty of time and I suppose you can do a detour. A start could be Grindelwald to First to Faulhorn (a hotel) to Schynige Platte. The best time for such hikes is July to September.

[/quote]

Annika –

How would you go from Schynige Platte onward? It seems to me that you should be going in the other direction?

Not that I know anything about the SAC huts’ locations. ;-(

Annika
    7121 posts
    18 April 2015 at 10:19:48 #842512

Hi all,

There are many options. What fits best depends on whether you mind sections of train/cable car, sections of valley versus mountains only, staying in an hotel for a night rather than huts only, and which trails are acceptable. From Schynige Platte (there’s a hotel there), one could walk down or take the cogwheel train, then up to the Lobhorn hut (not catered) for example. Or just as far as Isenfluh/Sulwald.

jackdebear
    Participant
    82 posts
    19 April 2015 at 13:13:53 #842513

Lobhornhutte is catered to mid October but it probably won’t fit into your schedule as I understand it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2015 at 16:25:13 #842514

Thanks Annika and to all of you for suggestions and help! There seemed to be so many routes and huts, I was getting a little overwhelmed in the planning. I think I’m on track now … definitely open to any other suggestions!

Thanks again!

• The thread ‘Hut to Hut – Grindelwald to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.