Hut to hut hiking trip Interlaken to Lenk

• Bsparks647
    Participant
    3 posts
    26 June 2022 at 3:31:24 #827600

Hello!

My husband and I are visiting and planning a hut trip from August 24th – August 31st from Interlaken to Lenk. Our mileage averages out to about 8.7 miles per day with 3700 ft elevation gain per day. A little background, we are both from Colorado and frequently do high mileage, high elevation hikes. Both of us have hiked/climbed over 25 of the states 14,000 ft peaks over the past couple of years. We have a pretty solid itinerary starting along the Eiger ultra trail, and continuing on the Via Alpina. I have a few questions regarding weather ( sorry if not allowed, just wondering general yearly monsoon info) and hut guidelines.

1. Colorado typically has a monsoon season where we can pretty much reliably assume there will be danger of thunderstorms at or around 12:00 most days, especially above treeline from July – August. The weather is very unpredictable in Colorado, as I know it is in the Swiss Alps as well. Is there a monsoon season in Switzerland? Typically how is the weather at the end of August?

2. At the sake of trying to travel light, when staying in mountain huts, do I need an actual sleeping bag, or will a thin sleeping bag liner be appropriate? The translation isn’t very straightforward and I just want to make sure I’m packing what I need ,but not more than I need. Also, slippers. Can this just be a pair of light sandals or flip flops?

3. Can you recommend some lesser traveled towns between Interlaken and Zurich? After we finish or hut trip in Lenk, we have 3 additional days before our flight home. We’d like to just relax with some pretty views. Lucerne sounds amazing but busy, so something like Lucerne, but not as crowded.

Thanks so much for any input! Traveling to Switzerland is a dream come true and I’m celebrating being 5 years cancer free!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    27 June 2022 at 2:39:14 #943591

Hi Bsparks647,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Congratulations on beating cancer and it’s great to know you will be travelling to Switzerland soon.

To answer your questions:

1.I don’t think there is a monsoon season in Switzerland. August is usually the warmest month. You can find more information about the overall weather here: http://www.myswissalps.com/weather, and the seasonal description here: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

2. Mountain huts are generally equipped with pillows and duvets. It’s customary to sleep in a sleeping bag liner. Shoes are usually not allowed inside the huts for hygiene reason, so you might need slippers or socks to keep your feet warm. Flip flops will do too.

3. There are plenty of charming small towns between Interlaken and Zurich. Along the main train route, Thun might be a good option. Bern, the Swiss capital, is a lovely city to explore too. You can also make a quick stop in Olten on the way to Zurich.

Hope this gives you the information you are looking for.

Regards,

Anna

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    1 July 2022 at 13:08:50 #943592

Hello Bsparks 647,

So happy that you are celebrating 5 years of being cancer free!

I am a Canadian, 62 years old, and just came back 3 days ago from an awesome 12 day dream hiking trip. From what you write, you will have hiked a lot, and are looking for a bit of rest. I cannot talk so much for what cities to suggest, but I can quickly share with you my favorite spot in Switzerland. It is the tiny village of Mürren, up from Lauterbrunnen. From Mürren, you have the spectacular view of the EIger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Although you will always see tourist there, as soon as you are on hiking trails, you are nearly alone. There is a wonderful easy walk, 2 hours or so, called the Mountain View trail . To get from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren you take a short gondola ride up to Grütschalp, followed by a quaint train ride to Mürren. But if you get off at Grütschalp, you will find the Mountain View trail, which leads to Mürren. The views are best (breath taking!) if you walk it in the direction from Grütschalp to Mürren. There are other spectacular trails around Mürren. A week ago I slept at the Rotstock hut, a 2 1/2 hr hike up from Mürren. A rustic hut, not too high, at 1,900 m. I just love it there! I was actually also in the valley close to where you are coming from, Lenk. I stayed in Griesalp. You will not see a single tourist there! I hiked up to the Gspalthorn hut. A memory for life!! Awesome!!!!

By the way, all the huts have crocks. So no need to bring slippers. Often the sizes are organized in colors, neatly arranged when you enter the hut. So adorably Swiss! However, you must bring a liner to sleep in. Duvets, pillows and blankets are all offered.

I wish you a fabulous trip!!!

Monica

Anna
    6362 posts
    1 July 2022 at 19:04:44 #943593

Hi Monica,

Thanks for sharing. It’s always nice to get first hand information from a fellow traveller.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 July 2022 at 12:32:08 #943594

Thanks for your valuable input Mschwalbe! Happy to hear you had such a nice hiking holiday.

If you’d want, you could share more of your tips in our trip report forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/tripreports. They’ll be noticed well there, and I’m sure they’re helpful to many other travelers.

Bsparks647
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 July 2022 at 13:19:47 #943595

Anna,

Thank you so much for that information! It is so helpful. Thun looks adorable! And I think we’ll definitely check out Bern as well.

Mschwalbe,

I’m so happy to hear how amazing Murren is because we’re spending an extra day there during our hut trip! We’re thinking about doing the Via Ferrata in town. I’m glad to hear they have crocs at the huts, that’ll save space and weight in the backpack, as well as not having to carry a full sleeping bag. I’m so glad you had a great trip, as I know this trip for me is absolutely a dream come true

Thanks again,

Brittany

Mschwalbe
    Participant
    107 posts
    3 July 2022 at 0:42:43 #943596

Anna, Thank you for your kind comments!

Arno, Thanks for your suggestion regarding tripreports!

Brittany, I am so excited for you about your upcoming trip!! When I am in these majestic mountains, I feel as if my heart touches heaven! You mentioned that in Mürren you might do the Via Ferrata. Wow! That must be quite a thrill! I had talked about the Mountain View Trail, which has beautiful views (oh yes… and cows with those charmnig bells of course), but which might not be enough of a challenge for you. You and your husband seem to be quite the experienced hikers. If you are looking for more of a challenge, then a favorite of mine is an 8 hr hike from Gimmelwald to Oberhornsee, and back down to Stechelberg. Gimmelwald, a tiny village, is a short walk from Mürren. Not to be confused with Grindelwald. From Gimmelwald you descend down to a small river, followed by a long uphill walk through the forest. When you slowly emerge from the forest, a spectacular view of the mountains awaits you!! Later on, the trail brings you to a quaint guest house/farm, the Berghotel Obersteinberg. (If you stop there for a bite or drink, cash only). From there you continue to the Oberhornsee (‘see’ is a lake). You are surrounded by absolutely stunning views throughout this entire hike!!! From the little lake (the Oberhornsee), you can come back on the same trail to Gimmelwald, or, take a different trail which bings you to the tiny town of Stechelberg. A gondola (I think it runs every 30 mins) from there brings you back up to Mürren.

Whatever you decide to do (so many choices!), I am sure that you will have a fabulous experience.

Wishing you a most memorable dream trip!!

Monica

• The thread ‘Hut to hut hiking trip Interlaken to Lenk’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.