I had a VIP front seat on Golden Pass 7 April 2019

• StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    12 April 2019 at 12:14:14 #820930

I just wanted to put this out there, I don’t know if it helps or not.

I just got back from a trip to Italy and Switzerland.

One of the things I did was take the Golden Pass from Montreux to Interlaken. I did this same trip about 2 years ago and managed to reserve a front seat on the Panoramic style coaches. This year I understood between construction and refurbishment that you can not reserve the front 2 rows online. I reserved a seat in the front car then the morning of my trip I went to the train station and talked with a real nice lady.

I understood her to say the coaches were being refurbished, but she called someone about my train and told me that it was in fact going to have the big windshield style coaches but she still was unable to reserve a seat for me. Her suggestion was to get there 25 minutes before scheduled departure and find the conductor to see if they would either swap my seat reservation or charge me the difference between my reservation and the front row reservation (I think it might be 8 euros difference, not sure). I ended up invited a mother and daughter to come up there and enjoy the view also, this was their first time on the train and loved it. The 3 of us had the front 2 rows to ourselves and there were either 2 or 4 others in the front car. The weather was particularly good but the view out the windshield made it a little better.

I don’t know if these are the newer cars or not, the one I had 2 years ago was more rounded and they had the more rounded one on the back of this train, but the front was more squared off. I attached a couple of photos.

Thank you to the MySwissAlps people for all their help, I had another great time in Switzerland staying in Montreux and Wengen and travel throughout.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2019 at 12:38:24 #909138

That’s a great view. Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2019 at 2:36:31 #909139

Wow that is an awesome way to travel..like being the train driver but much better.

Thankyou for sharing your photo’s and information Spaulus69.

I head off in June and doing the same trip,

Cheers Jacqui in Australia

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 April 2019 at 5:52:49 #909140

Cool. That’s definitely a new look carriage. Thanks for sharing.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 April 2019 at 9:54:55 #909141

A very helpful post.

Thanks

Slowpoke

Arno
    15481 posts
    13 April 2019 at 13:26:48 #909142

Hmm, to me it looks exactly like many years ago when I did a ride in those panoramic coaches. I’m not sure what kind of upgrade they are working on though, a simple renewal or complete overhaul? We’ll see. Anyway, it’s a very nice way to enjoy the Golden Pass line.

Micalj
    Participant
    80 posts
    13 April 2019 at 13:32:15 #909143

What a great way to ride! Assume these are second class coaches with an upgrade, correct? Kind of like grabbing a bulkhead seat in an airplane (now an upgrade), but the advantage is a bit different!

Thanks for sharing. Good to know.

Mike J

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    14 April 2019 at 14:49:37 #909144

If not mistaken you have to have a 1st class ticket and then reserve the VIP seats. The lady and daughter that I shared the front car with had 2nd class tickets so they had to pay the difference between 1st and 2nd class plus the seat reservation.

• The thread ‘I had a VIP front seat on Golden Pass 7 April 2019’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.