6 nights in Switzerland is not nearly enough time!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 12:42:08 #822746

Dear Oracles,

The more I read – the more I feel that I should be planning a month’s holiday not 6 nights! I would really appreciate some guidance as to what is possible. We are travelling with two children age 10 and 15. I am planning on buying the swiss rail pass 8 days as the children will then be free for the majority of the trips: (Day 1) Arr in Geneva mid morning and aim straight for Lucern for 2 nights – the remainder of day 1 – Old Town/Lion Monument and poss a boat trip on the Lake

(day 2) – up early and take a day trip to … Titlis or Pilatus? Here lies my first question – kids have never really experienced snow so that is top of our list! Both experiences however sound amazing.

(day 3) – up early and travel to Interlaken when once we have got rid of our bags – I am assuming a left luggage at Interlaken station. This day I thought we could Lauterbrun for the water falls, and/or Schilthorn, and/or Schiynige Platte

(day 4) Ideally we would be able to do the Jungfraujoch day trip

(day 5) up early! Travel to Montreux. Here we have to two nights and Charlie Chaplin Museum,Barryland (St Bernard Dog museum), castle are on the list for the first day and then

(day 6) Glacier day trip

(day 7) head to Geneva

I would really appreciate some help in deciding if I have overloaded the itinerary or missed something wonderful – am I doubling up with Jungfraujoch/glacier/Titlis … and where or where to I fit chocolate and cheese:) I am trying to make sure too that we experience various forms of transport (always good for education and school projects!) – so boat/cogwheel/cable car etc.

Many thanks in advance. J

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    10 July 2019 at 1:33:43 #917341

An important fact you left out… when will you be in Switzerland? Time of year determines which forms of transportation, weather and places are appropriate. As for mountain trips, have backup plans if it turns out to be cloudy/snowy. You don’t want to be at a mountain top to see just clouds.

“Glacier day trip”? Is this the Glacier Paradise, or Glacier Express, or one of several other glaciers, like the Lang glacier or something else?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 July 2019 at 2:02:56 #917342

<<“An important fact you left out… when will you be in Switzerland? “>>

Forum Rules:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Thanks.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2019 at 4:52:55 #917343

My sincere apologies – we will be visiting in July ’19. In regard to the glacier trip – I am referring to the Glacier 3000 trip starting at Les Diablerets from Montreux.

Many thanks, J

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2019 at 9:23:25 #917344

Hi Jojot,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I agree, you should come for a month 😉 There is a lot to see and do indeed.

Mount Titlis will have snow, Mount Pilatus not or only a bit after an exceptionally cold night:

Note that you can’t visit two museums and a castle (which takes 2 hours minimum) after traveling to Montreux in the morning. Other than that your plans look fine, but always be flexible because the weather is not a guarantee: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather (good weather, that is).

Be sure to travel via this route for the best scenery: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass.

Swiss Travel Pass details (how it works, what’s included, where to buy) are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

• The thread ‘6 nights in Switzerland is not nearly enough time!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.