Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  8 nights in Switzerland in July via Milan

8 nights in Switzerland in July via Milan

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
SAC0042
SAC0042
6 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 7:31 PM

Hi everyone, I shall be traveling to Zurich from Portugal in early July and wish to return from Milan.

i intend staying g in Switzerland for 8 nights and then go to lake Como or straight to Milan.

this is my first trip to Switzerland. I am interested in the beautiful scenery and walking tours.

i would also like to visit a factory outlet.

i have looked at some suggested itineraries and have considered staying 3 nights in Interlaken, 3 in Lucerne and 2 in brig.

i would like to visit st Moritz and Zermatt but from the info it seems these places are more for winter sports etc.

please can you advise regarding the bases I have chosen and also the best way to travel to Bellagio or lake Como .i would prefer the fast train but it seems only the standard trains stop in Como.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 15, 2020 - 7:16 AM in reply to SAC0042

Hello SAC4002 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The best way to experience the Alps from Zurich is to visit the Jungfrau Region (above Interlaken).

Get a train direct from Zurich Airport to one of Interlaken, Wengen or Grindelwald. Spend a few nights there then move to Luzern for a few nights

From Luzern take the Gotthard Panorama Express to Lugano and on to Milan or Como.

That is just one of an infinite number of combinations you could consider.

You can search this site for details on any of the locations or routes (in Switzerland) mentioned above.

For travel to Milan see www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy. It’s the opposite direction but the principles are the same.

I strongly recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the SBB timetable it is worth first reading the instructions at www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

The app (or website) will always show the fastest, most direct routes unless you tell it you want to go a longer way round by including other stations to go VIA. For example, if you wanted to follow the Golden Pass route you would need to search the SBB app looking for Luzern to Montreux via Interlaken and Zweisimmen.

Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it's valid" page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

SAC0042
SAC0042
6 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 9:20 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thank you, rockoyster.

your assistance is much appreciated.

I shall be traveling with my husband and adult daughter, and we have decided to just spend 6 nights in Switzerland and 3 nights in lake Como or Milan. I shall have a look at the links you shared and make a better decision.

i am thankful for this website which is very helpful.

Ildiko
Ildiko
646 posts
top member &
Jan 15, 2020 - 1:54 PM in reply to SAC0042

Hi SAC0042,

in addition to the previous answer, Zermatt and St. Moritz are not just ski resorts. They are very beautiful during the whole year and you can find there many hiking routes with an amazing view during the summer. Have a look at www.myswissalps.com/hiking to search for great hiking routes.

Near Lucerne there are more mountains, that you can visit:

And Lucerne is a very charming town, I recommend not to miss it: www.myswissalps.com/lucerne.

You can read about Brig at www.myswissalps.com/brig.

What kind of factory outlet would you like to visit? What do you want to buy?

Ildiko

SAC0042
SAC0042
6 posts
Jan 15, 2020 - 8:17 PM in reply to Ildiko

Hello Ildiko,

thank you for your reply. I shall look at the suggestions you added. There is so much to see in Switzerland but we have a short time, so I prefer to see few places and enjoy them.

Regarding the outlets, I am interested in visiting one of the brand outlet malls such as the one in aubonne or the Fashion fish premium outlet in Schönenwerd. I read that it’s possible to go from Lucerne to Schönenwerd, in less than an hour , By train.

I am also thinking of going to Lugano instead of Brig as its nearer to Como.

i have been to Como for a day and really liked it so wanted my husband to visit it too. We shall be traveling with our adult daughter. I will have to read all the info before making a final decision.

will keep in touch.

regards

Ildiko
Ildiko
646 posts
top member &
Jan 15, 2020 - 8:51 PM in reply to SAC0042

Hi SAC0042,

of course you do not need to visit everything (and cannot either). I just wanted to show your opportunities.

I think, Lugano is a great idea, in your case much better than Brig, and in my personal opinion Lugano is a nicer city.

Here are a few tips regarding Lugano:

For accommodation visit www.myswissalps.com/lugano/hotels and www.myswissalps.com/lugano/rentals.

I see, then you already have a few options for outlet centers. I have been only in the one near Aubonne, but I found this one for you: Fox Town Factory Stores in Mendrisio. It is between Lugano and Como.

Happy planning,

Ildiko

SAC0042
SAC0042
6 posts
Jan 18, 2020 - 1:51 PM

Hello again and thank you for your assistance.

, I have changed my itinerary as my husband has already been to Zurich and I would like to visit a village in France (Yvoire), therefore we have decided to begin our journey from Geneva where we land on the 30th of June at around 11.30. So we will stay in Geneva for 2 nights, then travel by train to Lucerne for one night.

Between Mt Regi,, Pilatus and Titlis, which one would you recommend?

From Lucerne go to to Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights.

afterwards I have to decide between going to Tirano or Lugano on way to Como.

rockoyster has suggested the Gotthard panoramic express. Will I miss out if I don’t take the Bernina express?

I decided Geneva to Lucerne because I read that there are no direct trains to Interlaken. I also intend visiting the cheese and chocolate factories. Is it on way to Lucerne or can I go as a day trip from Geneva?

Can I use the Swiss travel pass for all these trips?

any suggestions regarding my itinerary?

thank you

Anna
Anna
513 posts
top member &
Jan 18, 2020 - 4:23 PM in reply to SAC0042

Hi SAC0042,

Rigi, Pilatus or Titlis? Rigi is free with the Swiss Travel Pass so if I have to pick only one, Rigi would be the obvious choice for me :) If you are adventurous and don't mind paying a bit more, go to Titlis. Pilatus also has beautiful views at the top but we usually go there for the longest summer toboggan ride, which is accessible from the middle station in Frakmuntegg. If you are travelling with kids, this is highly recommended.

In my opinion, the train from Lugano to Como is more practical and faster (45 minutes), as opposed to travelling from Tirano. For tickets to Italy, have a look at this: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

If your itinerary allows it, take the Bernina Express. But I personally don't think you are missing out if you can't fit it into your schedule. www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress

Yes, it is possible to a day trip to the cheese factory in Gruyeres and the chocolate factory in Broc from Geneva. It needs a bit of planning as they are located in two different places but not far from each other. Please plan your journey using the SBB timetable (www.myswissalps.com/timetable) For inspiration, have a look at this guided tour. Entrance to both the cheese and chocolate factories is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

All the trips listed above are free with the Swiss Travel Pass except for the trip from the Swiss border to Como. For more information about the Swiss Travel Pass and where it's valid, have a look here: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity

Regards,

Anna

SAC0042
SAC0042
6 posts
Jan 18, 2020 - 9:05 PM

Thank you Anna,

I have noted your suggestios.

I am keen to take the Bernina Express. It sounds very exciting.

i am going to travel from Geneva to Interlaken because I have noted that to go in the Bernina express It will be better to leave from Lucerne to Chur and then get into the BE.

i have a question regarding travel to broc fabrique.

is it on the way to Interlaken? If yes can I begin my journey in Geneva, stop at Broc and then continue to Interlaken? In that way I will have more time to explore Geneva during the 1 and half days there.

I have searched online but can’t get and answer to that.

i would also like to know how long in advance can I book my trips? Some are not yet available.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 18, 2020 - 9:13 PM in reply to SAC0042

The Bernina Express is definitely worth doing. But, there is one departure per day at around 8:30 from Chur. To get there from Luzern requires a VERY early start ( like 6:10am). You need reservations for the BEX. But you can follow the same route on regular trains departing later.

Going Geneva to Interlaken via Broc-Fabrique almost doubles the travel time. Have you checked the timetable s? Did you check with the SBB app I linked to earlier? Geneva to Interlaken Ost via Broc-Fabrique.

For one opinion on the Cailler factory see www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/autumn-in-montreux-september-2019.

Most tourists would go from Geneva to Interlaken via the Golden Pass route (www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass).

SAC0042
SAC0042
6 posts
Jan 23, 2020 - 1:55 PM

Hello everyone and thank you for your suggestions.

i have now booked my flight to Geneva from Porto on the 30th of June, and would like to stay there for 2 nights and make a trip to Yvoire .

From geneva I have the intention of visiting Lucerne for one night and Interlaken for 2 nights before moving to lake Maggiore and from there to Milan.

i have read all the info I could, and am trying to plan an itinerary which will be easy and worthwhile .

i am thinking of purchasing the Swiss travel pass for 4 days for Lucerne and Interlaken and regional pass for geneva. Where do you suggest I use the STP? And should I rather buy a day pass for Geneva?

I really want to take the golden pass even the short one and the most suitable seems to be from Lucerne to Interlaken, however i can’t figure out how to get to Locarno or Domodossola to get to lake Maggiore from Interlaken. It seems easier from Lucerne but That would mean that I have to first travel to Interlaken from Geneva and then to Lucerne.

i really need your help here.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020