Visiting ice caves in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 0:30:43 #816340

I’ve been told that there are beautiful ice caves you can explore in Switzerland, but am having trouble finding them. Are they expensive/hard to get to?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 4:22:02 #886891

>> I’ve been told that there are beautiful ice caves you can explore in Switzerland, but am having trouble finding them. Are they expensive/hard to get to?

I am assuming you mean ice caves accessible to the average tourist without a guide and/or special equipment.

As you plan to stay in Wengen, the obvious choice would be the Ice Palace at the Jungfraujoch. It’s an expensive trip, but perhaps you were already planning to go there.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/ice-palace/

There are quite a few others, including.

They are not natural caves, but have been hacked out of the ice inside glaciers. They are all at high altitude, and the mountain transport needed to reach them is not cheap – but is the normal mountain transport people use to visit those mountain tops.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15479 posts
    31 May 2018 at 14:19:31 #886892

If you’re interested then I’d suggest to visit them in spite of the costs. Ice caves are endangered nowadays. I hope they’ll be around for a long time to come, but one can’t be sure.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Visiting ice caves in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.