Ideal 10 day itinerary for Switzerland in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 11:09:02 #808926

Hi,I’m planning for a trip in October (10 days – 2nd and 3rd week).

Would like to know if that’s a good time or should we consider sept for clearer weather?

what would b an ideal 10 days itinerary – we like to enjoy the scenic views and sports activities is not a must.

Apprecaute your feedback pls

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 April 2016 at 0:23:55 #850835

Hi Sandyah –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I’d pick September or early October if you want to spend time in the high Alpine regions. Those areas could work well, or not, depending on weather in late October. However, at lower altitudes, it is definitely a good time of year to visit.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 April 2016 at 17:12:49 #850836

Hi Sandyah,

There are lots and lots of options for a 10 day itinerary and which is “best” strongly depends on your personal preferences. I suggest you start off with checking the planning section. You’ll find tips and sample itineraries there. Also, other forum members’ trip reports may be of help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2016 at 14:11:06 #850837

Thank you Slowpoke and Annika for your feedback and suggestions.

I’ve drafted a proposed itinerary following your feedback – we are not planning to arrive on 4th Oct and spend apprx 7 days in Switzerland.

Day 1 (4 Oct): Visit Zurich – stay in Zurich

Day 2 (5 Oct): Zurich/Rhine Falls – travel to Luzern n stay in Luzern

Day 3 (6 Oct): Lucern/Mt Pilatus

Day 4 (7 Oct): Bern – travel to Interlaken n stay in Interlaken

Day 5 (8 Oct): Interlaken/ Jungfraujoch

Day 6 (9 Oct): Jungfraujoch/Geneva – travel to Geneva and stay in Geneva

Day 7 (10 Oct): Geneva (half day) – Lake Geneva

Travel to Paris (3.5 hrs)

You think the above is workable? also, what travel pass do you recommend?

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 May 2016 at 14:26:46 #850838

Hi Sandyah,

Good to hear you’ve been able to create an itinerary. Your plan certainly looks fine to me. Your train transfers aren’t too long and all day trips are perfectly doable. For the transfer from Interlaken to Geneva, I recommend the Golden Pass route via Zweisimmen and Montreux. The timetable allows you to plan each trip in detail, if you like.

An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass would be most convenient. Price wise, you may compare it to the Swiss Half Fare Card by making calculations as explained here. Mind that you’ll have to buy 50% discounted tickets for all trips in that case.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2016 at 20:48:36 #850839

Hi Sandyah –

Annka has said it well. It is an excellent itinerary, without any changes.

If I were doing it, I’d skip the Rhine Falls and go directly to Luzern.

But, if you have not seen other powerful waterfalls, the Rhine Falls are quite impressive. They are an impressive sight.

Still, Luzern is uniquely Swiss and the falls are not all that different from other waterfalls that I have seen.

Clearly a matter of personal preference, influenced by the fact that I have seen Niagara Falls here in the USA, which are much higher and larger

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Ideal 10 day itinerary for Switzerland in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.