Places and ideas for making a proposal in Zermatt

• Skaria76
    Participant
    2 posts
    6 August 2019 at 3:49:56 #823265

Hi all,

I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend this September. What are some thoughts on ideal proposal spots? Hopefully somewhere with a breathtaking view of Matterhorn and secluded enough to have a moment.

thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Grazie
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 August 2019 at 8:02:25 #919477

Hi Skaria76…Congratulations and how exciting for you! We were in Zermatt last month and went up to Gornergrat where you’ll have a spectacular view of the Matterhorn (on a clear day of course!) I don’t know how crowded it would be in September but I’m sure there will still be some crowd. However, there is a hiking trail from Rotenboden to Riffelberg that you could take and you can pick your spot! Your only problem will be which spot to choose! If you google it, you’ll see some of the images and you’ll get some ideas. There is another train you could take up to Sunnegga, but we didn’t go up there so I can’t say much about it, but I imagine the view is just as spectacular! In case you’re interested, there is a hotel up in Gornegrat – Kulmhotel (wished I have known that before I booked our trip) and I’ve heard on a clear night when all the stars our out, it’s a majestic sight! Goodluck and congratulations again!

Toomanydogs
    Participant
    8 posts
    6 August 2019 at 21:39:12 #919478

Congratulations!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2019 at 7:32:44 #919479

Hello Skaria76,

Also from me CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a lovely idea, I’m sure your lady will be more than happy!

Why not look at one of the hotels in Zermatt offering some exclusivity and stunning views of the Matterhorn, such as the Kulmhotel Gornergrat or the Riffelhaus or the Riffelalp Resort.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat

Find some more hotel recommendation for Zermatt below.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/hotels

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 16:43:24 #919480

Hi there Skaria76 –

We just returned to the US from a fabulous 9 days touring Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt. Here’s a suggestion that both my husband and I agreed would be a “perfect” proposal spot (BTW – we were in Switzerland for our 25th wedding anniversary!). Take the Sunnega cable car (you’ll get it right in Zermatt) to the top and then jump on the Gondola. When you get off, follow the directions for the hike to Stellisee. This is a beautiful lake below the Matterhorn (if you’re there on a clear day around 9 or 10am you can see the reflection of the Matterhorn). The hike is about 30 mins from the Gondola. (We were actually up there to do some flyfishing on this lake!!!) Proposal around the lake anywhere can be made private by simply going off trail a bit. After you propose, there is a fabulous restaurant/Inn called Fluhalp on the mountainside that has some of the best food we had in Zermatt. They have outside dining (a band when we were there) overlooking the Matterhorn. Very romantic plus if you want to spend the night, they have rooms to stay in (however a VERY unassuming place and we were comfortable there in tshirts/shorts). I know many famous folks have stayed there to avoid the publicity in the town of Zermatt. Also, they have the best homemade Grappa;)

Congratulations and Best!

http://www.fluhalp-zermatt.ch/

• The thread ‘Places and ideas for making a proposal in Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.