Ideas on itinerary from Zurich to Lake Como

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2016 at 10:15:16 #808987

Hi, Everyone!

I and my husband will be travelling to Switzerland for 4 days 3 nights (18/5/2016 to 21/5/2016). We plan to travel from Munich to Zurich by bus. Then from Zurich, we take a train to Luzern.

Below is my draft itinerary from 18th – 20th. The last day was the problem for me, I’m not sure which route to take because we will go to Italy or Lake Como for our next destination. We are on a budget, enjoy scenery and recommendation for easy hiking trail can be considered. We also interested to go to Fox Town if time permit and easy to reach.

18/5/16 : Munich to Zurich. Then Zurich to Lucerne. Expect to arrive in Lucerne afternoon. Explore Lucerne town. Overnight in Lucerne.

19/5/16 : Morning Lake lucerne cruise & Mount Rigi. Afternoon, take a train to Lauterbrunnen. if time permit, doing Panoramic walk from Grütschalp to Mürren. Overnight in Lauterbrunnen.

20/5/16 : Morning going to Schiltorn. (Need suggestions for best place to go next, maybe to go to Zermatt?)

21/5/2016 : Zermatt – Lake Como. (Need suggestion)

I need ideas to complete the itinerary and what pass is cheapest and suitable for the itinerary.

Thank you in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 April 2016 at 7:01:02 #851123

Hello airen, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

Given the amount of traveling you’ll be doing in 4 days, I’d definitely recommend a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass as it will cover all of your train journeys, the cruise over Lake Lucerne, Rigi, etc. Please refer to our Swiss Travel Pass page to find all details on validity, purchase options, etcetera.

Most of your itinerary looks fine, although days will be quite full. If you don’t mind that, that’s fine of course. If you need to end up at Lake Como, Zermatt is certainly an option as your next base town. You could travel towards Lake Como using the beautiful Centovalli line between Domodossola and Locarno.

An alternative is to switch days in your schedule: getting to Lauterbrunnen first, then heading for Lucerne, than getting to Lugano/Locarno using the very scenic route known as the Wilhelm Tell Express. The timetable will assist you in planning all possible connections.

Further budget tips can be found here.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 2:05:22 #851124

Hi Airen-

What or where is Fox Town? That is a new one for me.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 8:06:58 #851125

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your reply and ideas!

I’ve decided to change the plan. Here it goes;

18/5/16 : Munich to Zurich by bus. Then, a train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen (all journey approx 7 hrs) . Overnight in Lauterbrunnen. Is there any area in Zurich for a short visit? if yes, Is there a locker to rent in the train station for the luggage?

19/5/16 : Morning Visit Schilthorn. and Panoramic walk from Grütschalp to Mürren.

20/5/16 : Luterbrunnen to Lucerne. Visit Mt. Rigi and explore Lucerne Town

21/5/2016 :Lucerne –> Lake Como ( Wilhelm Tell Express)

Anyone who have suggestion on the activities are most welcome.

Thank you and regards,

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 8:45:15 #851126

Hi Airen-

<<“Is there any area in Zurich for a short visit? if yes, Is there a locker to rent in the train station for the luggage?”>>

Yes, and yes.

See the posts in this thread for some ideas about a short walk in Zürich and links to a description of the luggage facilities. There are lots of lockers.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/things-to-do-in-locarno-after-wilhelm-tell-exp

Look near the end at my post on April 23 at 8:13 AM.

Also,

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 9:22:57 #851127

Thanks Slowpoke for the prompt reply. Will check the links.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:17:14 #851128

Hi airen,

I think your new itinerary certainly makes sense. Our attraction and town pages may help you find more details about the trips you’ve planned. The Swiss Travel Pass will cover pretty much all of your traveling in Switzerland; you only need additional 50% discounted return tickets for Mürren-Schilthorn.

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:18:55 #851129

Hi Slowpoke,

Fox Town is a shopping outlet center in Mendrisio, near Lugano/Chiasso.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:16:50 #851130

Hi Annika-

I have never been interested in shopping in Switzerland, because most things are less expensive in the USA. Now I know.

Thanks

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 2:40:23 #851131

Thank you Annika for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2016 at 4:43:35 #851132

Dear Annika,

< Swiss Travel Pass discounts

Boat from Lucerne to Flüelen and train from Flüelen to Locarno: free

Please note: 1st class pass required, or an upgrade ticket >

I just want to clear on this. I bought 2nd class pass. My question;

1. How much it cost for an upgrade ticket? Only for the boat or the whole journey needs 1st class ticket?

2. Is it can be done the counter?

Thanks.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 May 2016 at 7:30:44 #851133

Hi Airen,

1. You only need 1st class tickets if you prefer the tourist package with reservations and lunch. If you don’t need that, you can simply board the same boat and train and sit in 2nd class without reservations. As you have a pass, that option is free.

2. If you prefer 1st class you pay half the difference between 1st and 2nd class. You can arrange for it at the counter. On top of that you can, optionally, buy the tourist package. In total this would cost CHF 74.20. But again, you can do it for free with your 2nd class pass as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2016 at 8:40:44 #851134

Understood. Thanks Arno for your explanation and prompt reply 🙂

• The thread ‘Ideas on itinerary from Zurich to Lake Como’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.