If there is a promo for STP, what is the deal?

• daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    9 July 2018 at 9:21:18 #817168

Hi all,

I may want to wait for the Swiss Travel Pass promotion (for travel during Sept 2018) but at the same time, I am also considering the Saver Day Pass from SBB.

For Saver Day Pass, we know that we can starting buying it as early as 60 days ahead of our travel to get the cheapest price.

So I would like to weigh between these 2 options.

My Question:

– If we indeed have a Sept sales/promotion for STP, what would the deal likely be? Based on your past experiences, would it be like buy 1 free 1 (50% saving for 2 travellers), or 30% or 10% discount or etc?

I know it is hard to tell now. But just want to gather you guys’ inputs based on what you had seen in the past and to do some best guesstimate (if possible :))

Thanks all,

daifei888

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 July 2018 at 9:47:55 #890812

Hi Daifei,

As you guessed that’s really hard to tell 🙂 I do not expect a buy 2 get 1 free promotion. The last time was quite some years ago. Most promotions involve a discount or extra travel days. Whether or not there will be one I don’t know. Our page http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/promotio ns will be updated as soon as there is a new promo.

In most cases a Swiss Travel Passes is a better option than multiple Saver Day Passes. For example, 8 Saver Day Passes cost CHF 416. If you also buy a Swiss Half Fare Card the total costs for 8 days goes down to CHF 352. All of that is the best case scenario, assuming you can get that many passes for the lowest price. An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass costs CHF 398 or a little less if you pick the cheapest retailer (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price). That will get you various free excursions and many free museums.

daifei888
    Participant
    41 posts
    10 July 2018 at 6:11:30 #890813

Thanks for your info Arno.

I do not intend to buy all 8 days of Saver Day Passes.

My stay in Swiss is only 6 days. And I will probably buy 2 to 3 Saver Day Passes only (with a Swiss Half Fare Card). Some of the days I don’t travel that much so I will just buy point to point tickets (50% discount with SHFC). With the SHFC, I can enjoy the same 50% discount for all my mountain rides (in fact, STP only entitles a 25% discount for Jungfraujoch whereas SHFC entitles a 50%).

With my calculation (including the 120CHF SHFC), it seems that I can save for more than 150CHF compared to buying a STP.

STP provides flexibility but my travels (especially those that cross cities which are expensive) are pretty much fixed so I am fine with that.

Again, I thank everyone here who had provided me with so much info thus far.

Thanks again,

daifei888

• The thread ‘If there is a promo for STP, what is the deal?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.