Importing chicken lard into Switzerland allowed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 5:06:47 #825379

I want to cook an originaloriginal chickenchicken rice dish butbut it needs chicken lard hence need to bring in to Switzerland. A small amount of one kg. Its that alright? Hope to getget a reply as I’mI’m flyingflying in 5 hours’time.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 March 2020 at 6:11:19 #930992

Hello JC and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

From http://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/animals-and-plants.html

Many travellers want to bring food of animal or plant origin (meat, milk and dairy products, cheese, honey, fruit, vegetables, etc.) into Switzerland. However, this is often prohibited or at least restricted in order to prevent the introduction or spread of epidemics. This applies particularly in the case of food from non-EU countries such as Turkey.

Read this http://www.ezv.admin.ch/ezv/en/home/information-individuals/animals-and-plants/animals–animalproducts-and-protection-of-species–cites-.html

I wouldn’t do it but if you risk it make sure you declare it on arrival.

I would think there would be a good chance you could purchase such a product in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 9:42:51 #930993

Hello Jeanette,

Thanks for your question!

I wouldn’t bring the chicken lard into Switzerland. I agree with rockoyster! You can find chicken lard at the local butchers in Switzerland. Or in worse case scenario render it yourself. As an alternative and perhaps maybe not exactly what you wish, you can purchase pig lard at the shops too. I have made some interesting discoveries by using substitutions in my recipes while cooking in Switzerland. I included a link about the grocery stores in Switzerland.

I hope this helps.

Safe travels!

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Importing chicken lard into Switzerland allowed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.