Impossible to book Gotthard Panoramic Express

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 12:58:32 #881462

Re my earlier post Lucas, are you saying I can use my Swiss Half Fare Pass to buy a Saver Day Pass which I can then use on any train from Lugano to Fluelen and then on any boat from Fluelen to Lucerne on 30 May without having to buy a train or boat ticket at all?

I have previously bought the reservation for the 9.23 Gotthard Express

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 14:59:11 #881463

You still need to reserve on the Gotthard Panorama Express trip on top of having a ticket or rail pass so it is perfectly good that you did that already. 🙂

The Saver Day Pass acts as a 1 day rail pass which covers most routes in Switzerland – including the Gotthard Panorama Express route.

At the moment the Saver Day Pass for May 30 is 39chf (with the 1/2 fare card discount). The price will go up.

When buying the SDP select that you have a Swiss Half Fare Card and buy for (currently) 39chf.

When on the train and boat just show your Saver Day Pass (and the Swiss Half Fare Card to show you qualify for the lower purchase price) when they ask to see your ticket.

And also show the reservation when you are on the 09:23 train.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 May 2018 at 20:16:09 #881464

Hi kslewis,

You probably don’t need this anymore, but you wrote you weren’t sure my earlier advice included the boat: no it doesn’t, my recommendation to use https://www.trainline. eu/search/lugano/fluel en was for the train portion. The boat portion is not an issue: you can’t book seats; all you need is a ticket and if you don’t buy that in advance you can buy it on board.

Enjoy the ride! You sure have put a lot of preparation in it 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 20:49:48 #881465

Well there you go. I didn’t even know you could buy a ticket on board the boat. Does that apply to all Lake Lucerne boats? Is there any surcharge for buying on board? Just out of interest . . . .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 22:20:47 #881466

Thanks guys- going to go with Lucas’s advice – hope the payment works today.

rockoyster I believe Lucas is saying once I have the the day saver pass and Swiss half card that covers the boat as well.

all I have to do then is work out how to upgrade to first class on the boat – think I have seen that link before

Let you know how I go in the interests of other travellers

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 22:38:56 #881467

Phew!

You can always buy a Class upgrade on board the steamer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 22:59:50 #881468

Hey Lucas

No surprise to find the system still does not work for payment!

I found the day saver pass for CHF39 as you said and input all the details extremely carefully and payment still rejected on 2 different credit cards, one of which I had used before and saved.

I tried twice, once as a guest and once logging in.

Seriously this is really hopeless. I think in the circumstances someone should call me and take my credit card details or better yet just email me a complimentary day pass to make up for countless wasted hours of my time.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 23:05:55 #881469

You need to contact SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 0:07:30 #881470

Todays results-see screenshots

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2018 at 0:39:25 #881471

All I can say is your experience is not typical. But MySwissAlps is not SBB so if the problem is at the SBB end then you need to tell them about it and get them to fix it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 0:42:48 #881472

contacted them previously and no help

can you imagine ringing RTA here with this and getting anywhere?

refuse to make an international telephone call anyway

I understand MySwissAlps is not SBB but they are better and presumably can be more effective in passing on frustrated international customers feedback

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2018 at 14:18:58 #881473

Hi Rockoyster,

All boats I’ve used so far in Switzerland have a ticket office on board. No surcharge for buying there. I prefer buying in advance as you’re rarely the only one needing tickets, but it can certainly be done. I think the Lago Maggiore boats are an exception but they’re operated by an Italian company.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2018 at 14:31:44 #881474

Hi kslewis,

I sure understand the frustration. I can’t be of much help here I’m afraid. I know SBB is aware of this and in most cases credit cards are rejected because they don’t have certain security features. I guess they expect more issues if they accept less security measures (fraud). Their tourist webshop does not suffer from this but unfortunately they do not sell class upgrades nor Saver Day Passes (yet). I’m not Swiss myself and rarely buy something from the domestic SBB site. Last time I did it worked fine however, with a debit or credit card with all the latest security. I usually buy from sites geared to tourists, or locally if that’s not an option. Saver Day Passes is the only product that is still only sold online and only by the domestic SBB site. So that’s unfortunate!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 0:44:20 #881475

Hi Arno

I have cards with the latest security features.

I actually fluked it yesterday and was able to buy the day saver pass with one of them.

I then tried to buy just a single trip ticket on the same card in the same place and it failed yesterday and today.

So problem is with SBB and the third party payment service provider (Datatrans or something like that) it uses. They really ought to fix this urgently.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 7:42:09 #881476

Hi all

After countless hours and dogged determination I finally bought all my tix and passes-despite SBB’s best efforts to thwart me

In the end Amex worked. Mastercard worked once and then repeatedly failed.

Reckon I am an expert now.

Thanks all-excited

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 7:49:06 #881477

Congratulations.

⭐️ For persistence.

Enjoy your trip and don’t forget to send us some photos when you get back. 😇

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 15:03:05 #881478

Great to hear it’s all sorted!

I’m sure I would have given up long ago and bought tickets in Switzerland somewhere – we will contact you from now on when someone has the same question 😉

Have a great trip!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The thread ‘Impossible to book Gotthard Panoramic Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.