Info / guidance needed – 1st time visitor

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2011 at 6:55:34 #832408

Hello –
    Sorry for bothering you again …. but I did the Swiss Pass purchase details and all it said was how to order the pass from your country. That did not help me. I am interested in knowing if:
    a) are these passes available at Tirano station when I am on-borading the Bernina Express ?
    b) can I order these online and get a copy immediately that can be validated when I first on-board a train in Swizterland ?
    Regards
    Abhijit

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 March 2011 at 6:48:01 #832409

Hi Abhijit,

The page also explains that the passes can be purchased at larger Swiss railway stations as well. I suppose you can purchase it at the Tirano rail station, but I’m not 100% sure as Tirano is in Italy. There is a Swiss ticket desk though. To be sure, you can best ask the SBB (the Federal railways) or RhB (the local rail company). You can also order either of these passes online through the pages I mentioned. The passes will be sent to you by regular mail and should be validated according to the enclosed instructions.

I hope this helped you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2011 at 2:49:44 #832410

Hello, I have gone added and prepared a day-wise travel plan. I have also calculated and compared the point-to-point ticket fares, 6 day swiss flexi saver pass fare and half-fare card prices. It appears that the swiss pass works best for me.

The help I need from you is to verify / guide me on the details that I have gathered so that I can make a decision accordingly. My plan and details is as below:

Day 1 (1st day of 6 day Swiss Flexi Saver Pass):
    Travel Tirano to St Moritz on Bernina Express. ( Free travel on Swiss Pass).

Day 2 (take advantage of 50% discount due to flexi pass wherever applicable)
    Visit Engadine Lakes, small hike by walk or cycle, visit muottas muragl or piz nair

Day 3 (2nd day of 6 day Swiss Flexi Saver Pass):
    Travel St Moritz to Zermatt on Glacier Express (Free travel on Swiss Pass)

Day 4 (3rd day of 6 day Swiss Flexi Saver Pass):
    Visit Matterhorn (take advantage of 50% discount due to flexi pass)
    Visit Altesch Glacier from Eggishorn (Free travel on Swiss Pass)

Day 5 (4rth day of 6 day Swiss Flexi Saver Pass):
    Visit Gornegrat (take advantage of 50% discount due to flexi pass)
    Travel Zermatt to Interlaken in afternoon (Free travel on Swiss Pass)

Day 6 –
    Interlaken – Wilderswil – Schynige Platte (take advantage of 50% discount due to flexi pass)
    Visit Beatus Caves (take advantage of 50% discount due to flexi pass)

Day 7 –
    Interlaken – Jungfraujoch (take advantage of 25% discount due to flexi pass)
    Interlaken – stechelberg (bus) – Schilthorn (take advantage of 50% discount due to flexi pass)

Day 8 – (5th day of 6 day Swiss Flexi Saver Pass):
    Interlaken – Lake Oeshinen (free travel on swiss pass)
    Interlaken – Lucerne (Free travel on Swiss pass)

Day 9 –
    Lucerne – Mt Rigi (since this is not my free travel day, do I need to pay 50% for this trip or what should I pay for ?)
    Lucerne – Engelberg – Tiltis (since this is not my free travel day, do I need to pay 50% for this trip or what should I pay for ?)

Day 10 – (6th and last day of Swiss Flexi Saver pass)
    Tavel Lucerne to Zurich airport (end of trip)

One thought that comes to my mind, is utilize Day 9 as the 6th day of Swiss Flexi pass and then is there a day pass / day ticket that I can buy from Lucerne to Zurich for airport travel ? Pls guide me…. note that if there is any such day card then do we buy 3 day cards (wife, self and daughter of 13 years or again is there a Family card that can save her ticket ?

Overall, based on the places I intend to visit as per above plan, are my assumptions about free travel and 50%, 25% travel on in-between days correct ? Am I doing any wrong assumptions and therefore wrong calculations in the above plan ? Pls guide.

Regards
    Abhijit

Arno
    15482 posts
    28 March 2011 at 14:37:23 #832411

Hi Abhijit,

It looks like a well prepared plan to me. Please note that you can check all details about free or discounted traveling on the map we link to from the Swiss Flexi Pass page. Just in case you didn’t notice: day 4 and 8 also include cable cars/lifts, and they are not free.

A one way regular ticket Luzern – Zurich airport is only CHF 27 person (for the child as well). You would spend more on day 9, even with discounts, so I would indeed use that day as your last free travel day.

Did you notice the free upgrade to 1st class that is currently being offered on Swiss Passes? That may be another alternative to a Swiss Flexi Pass in case you prefer 1st class traveling.

One more tip is to check the opening season of the lifts you intend to use. Some are open all year round, others (e.g. Schynige Platte) will open for the summer season about the time you’ll be there. You can use the timetable or their individual websites for that.

I think you’re about to finalize your planning now 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2011 at 21:46:33 #832412

Hello, Thanks for directing me to the 1st class upgrade page.. i will definitely consider this. Also will check the lift operating months and timings.
    Let me try and respond to your questions (for my last query) so that you can check if my understanding is correct !!

On Day 4 and Day 8 – Both these days are selected as “free days” for my Swiss Flexi Saver Pass. So for Matterhorn, I get the 50% discount for pass. For Eggishorn, train travel is free but I do have to pay for mountain lifts / gondolas as per the available discounts (due to swiss pass) or full in case there is no discount. Similarly, for Lake Oeshinen, when I use the mountain cable car, I do have to pay as per the available discounts (due to swiss pass) or full in case there is no discount. For Interlaken – Lucern travel, I do it free since I this is a “free” selected travel day.

Is my above understanding correct !

Now lets talk about Day 7.
    Scenario 1:
    ————–
    Day 7, is not a free travel day selected by me. But I still can avail the 25% discount on JUngfraujoch and 50% discount on bus to Stechelberg due to the swiss pass I am holding.
    Scenario 2:
    Suppose I change my travel plan and include Day 7 as a free travel day in my 6 day swiss flexi saver pass. Even now, I ONLY get the 25% discount on Jungfraujoch as this is the max allowed discount for swiss pass holders. BUT NOW for my bus trip to stechelberg, I get the 100% discount as day 7, in this plan, is a free travel day.
    Is the above understanding correct too ?

That will give me confidence that the way I have calculated fares is the right approach.

Regards
    Abhijit

Arno
    15482 posts
    29 March 2011 at 0:13:19 #832413

Hi Abhijit. Yes, you understand all of it correctly!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2011 at 12:12:14 #832414

Hello – I have decided to go for 1st class upgrade offer by taking a Swiss Saver Pass for 15 consecutive days (thanks for your TIP !). I will be taking the saver pass for myself and my wife. We have a 14 year old daughter travelling with us. I will get her a Family card. My questions are:
    a) i have not yet ordered for the passes and family card. How do I book 3 seat reservations on Glacier Express for the 3 of us without the passes ?
    b) Same for Bernina express – how do i book 3 seat reservations without passes ?
    c) Besides the seat reservations, Will she be travelling free of cost on both Glacier Express and Bernina Express or is there any charge for her on these trains ?
    d) do i need to also book any dining reservations (lunch / plate of day) or can I get the same when on-board ?
    e) do i need to make reservations for Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Schynite Platte, Rigi, Titlis etc etc …… or these can be done when at respective places ?
    what would you advice for all of the above ?

Regards
    Abhijit

Arno
    15482 posts
    29 March 2011 at 13:18:50 #832415

Hi Abhijit,

As for your questions:

a & b) Booking options can be found on the seat reservation page.
    c) You just have to pay for the seat reservation.
    d) Lunch in the dining car has to be reserved. You can do that along with booking your seats through the link on the seat reservation page.
    e) No, that’s not necessary and not possible for most of them.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The thread ‘Info / guidance needed – 1st time visitor’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.