“Information” column in SBB online timetable

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 13:23:23 #812363

We are due to travel from Geneva Airport to Interlaken on July 5th. We already have our tickets, sent to us by the travel agent. According to the Swiss SBB Online timetable there is a train leaving at 1332 which goes via Bern. There is a column headed “Information” which shows expected ocupancy (I think). What I do not understand is that there are two subdivisions in the column – 1. and 2. What do these mean? The variant that goes direct from Bern to Interlaken shows very high occupancy in the 2. sub-column. Should we avoid this train? The alternative (apparently lighter occupancy) seems to be to catch an earlier train from Bern to Spiez and change there. But there are only three minutes to change platforms and catch the new train at Spiez. Will that be enough time? We are in our 70s and will have two pieces of luggage each.

Sorry if this seems long-winded; but we don’t normally travel by train and have never used the Swiss rail system. Many thanks for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 16:07:10 #865587

Hi Skivacance and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Is this the column under “capacity” with the little person images? The 1 is 1st class and the 2 is 2nd class and you are right it is expected occupancy.

I would probably avoid the 3 minute connection in your case, but there will certainly be another train to Interlaken soon (they run regularly, but they could be quite busy as well).

In the end it is looking to be quite busy in 2nd class on the trains that afternoon. You are getting on at Geneva airport though and I’m fairly certain the train starts there – so the train will be empty when you board and will get busier and busier as you move through Switzerland.

You could upgrade to 1st class if the busyness is a concern for you? It is always quieter in 1st class. 🙂

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 16:15:13 #865588

Thank you, Lucas – most helpful. Could I beg the favour of two further questions?

Our tickets are marked “Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi” and “INCL. SWISS HALF FARE CARD”. They appear to be dated 01.05.17 – 30.11.17. They have fields that are blank and obviously need to be filled: Name, Country and Pasport ID. Once we have filled these in,

1) do the tickets need to be validated in any way?

2) If they do, how is that done, please? I am presuming that they will be valid for any mainline train from Geneva Airport to Bern/Interlaken.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 18:24:41 #865589

Hi Hi Skivacance,

1. No, it shouldn’t need further validation after you have entered all your relevant details that need to be filled in. In some rare cases there is an area that needs to be stamped (this should be obvious) and it is very rare – you can read more about that here.
    2. See above link, and yes the Swiss Transfer Ticket and Swiss Half fare Card are valid basically anywhere in Switzerland.

I hope that helps!

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 June 2017 at 18:44:50 #865590

Hi Skivacance,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi has been discontinued as of 2017. I guess you purchased it in 2016? The one you have should still be valid but it indeed sounds like you will have to fill out the blank fields.

• The thread ‘“Information” column in SBB online timetable’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.