Stay in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen or both in October

• Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    20 February 2019 at 8:27:51 #820014

Hi guys

Can you give me any comments re this draft plan? Is it do able? We are a family of three (13 year old son) looking for picturesque Switzerland and easy walks.

Day 1 – arrive Zurich airport early morning (from Thailand), Swiss train pass to Zermatt. Stay 2 nights at somewhere like Hotel Helvetia.

Day 2 explore Zermatt

Day 3 – Train to Wengen stay 1 or 2 nights. Having difficulty finding a nice budget hotel that we like.

Day 4 to 6 – Stay in Lauterbrunnen at somewhere like Hotel Oberland/Crystal. Use this as our base to go to Murren, Gimmelwald etc. I believe most of the trains/cable cars will be free as we will have the train pass?

Not sure if we should stay in Lauterbrunnen for 4 nights and just do a day trip to Wengen?

Thank you for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    20 February 2019 at 16:15:21 #904609

“Not sure if we should stay in Lauterbrunnen for 4 nights and just do a day trip to Wengen”

• I was in Lauterbrunnen last year and wished I had stayed in Wengen instead. In Lauterbrunnen, I felt like an ant at the bottom of a bathtub, sharp rising sides going up in all directions. In the shadow of surrounding mountains most of the time. Wengen is up one of the mountains, on a ledge. Sunny, wonderful views. (I just passed through Wengen briefly.)
    • You will have a hard time finding budget hotels in Wengen; and there are relatively fewer hotels in Lauterbrunnen. (Lauterbrunnen is very small, walk about 15 minutes and you’ve seen the town – there are some things to see outside the town, but for the “big” draws like boating around Interlaken or going up Jungfrau Wengen is just as good at staying in Lauterbrunnen; the two are only 5-9 minutes apart by train.)

I recently got back from a trip to Thailand. It took me a week to get over jet lag (flying 20 hrs to get home). It won’t be this long for you (Thailand to Switzerland), but be sure to factor one day for jet lag. Day 1 should be restful – perhaps going Zurich to Zermatt by train will give you the chance to rest/sleep.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 February 2019 at 18:34:49 #904610

Hi Sweyne,

The Jungfrau region is pretty small. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are 15 minutes apart by train. I wouldn’t stay in both. You can do all day trips from either base.

What’s covered by the Swiss Travel Pass can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

For hotel suggestions, please see:

Happy planning!

• The thread ‘Stay in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen or both in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.