10 days in Switzerland family tour on a budget

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 17:03:02 #816826

Dear Members

I am planning a vacation of 9-10 days in Switzerland . Period is May-June 2019. Travelling with family (2 kids 11-13 age, we parents & my parents 60+)

Expectation – Get Essence of the entire landscape/ country new & old – get a life time experience. This is our first foreign tour but opted for only Switzerland instead of glimpses of Europe. Would like to be on budget yet comfortable.

Hv worked out an itenary after lot of browsing thru this awesome site. 1 day Zurich, 3 days in lucern (Titlis, lake tour, Bellenzona, Pillatus) , 5 days in INterlaken or Grindelwald (Trummelbach falls, Lauterbrunnen valley, Murren, Broc-Gruyeres – choc factory, cheese factory, Montreux, Grimselwald, Thun, Brienz)

Qs at this point of time:

– Is this the right time to plan. Would like to travel during the kids vacation. When is the best time to travel during this May-mid June

– To arrive at a budget, what are the various cost heads other than STP fare, Mountain Rides, Air fare & Lodging.

– When is the earliest I can do the bkg for air & the lodging. would it be cheaper booking in max advance.

SHall share the Itenary later for iterations once the above guidelines are clear.

Thanks in advance.

KS

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 15:44:36 #889120

Hi KS and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’d plan to come as late in June as you can. The mountain transport will be open by about mid june moslty. And the higher hiking trails will be open as well.

The other major cost will be food. You can have a look at some money saving tips here: http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

Usually hotels and flights open up about 11 to 12 months ahead for booking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 13:01:41 #889121

Thank Lucas.

Since schools here in India open up during 2nd week of June, would like to know the best date range before 10th June starting from 3rd week of April.

For this period, would like to know any specific areas to avoid. Since I have parents with me, would like to indulge in light walking trails.

Considering staying base in Luzerne & Grindelwald, would like to know if there is public transport buses which can ferry us from bases to nearest stations wherever needed.

With Regards

KS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 15:30:48 #889122

Hi KS,

Really as late as you can come is best. So try to arrive by May 31/ June 1 if you have 10 days and have leave by June 10.

No real areas to avoid but some trails in the higher altitudes may not (or won’t) be open by then.
    You can read about hikes and mountain trips to be done around Grindelwald here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities & Lucerne here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/lucerne/activiti es

Yes, you’ll be able to take trains or buses to the mountains to board a train or cable car to get you to the top. Once you you where you are staying you can use the Swiss Railways timetable to find schedules to get you to any mountain: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 18:40:42 #889123

Hello KS

first week of June is OK. Do all bookings by April. After that airlines do get expensive and you may get less options for accommodation.

have a look at the link that Lucas has given for saving money. Try the travel cost calculator provided on this website, from that you will know which pass suits you. City centre like luzern will be expensive so try little bit outside but then you may to give travelling time and money. So research a bit of travelling times also. Like grindelwal will be little bit less expensive for lodging but will include travel time. There’s no problem for public transport in all of Switzerland.

As for light trails, each mountain has levels of trails, always approach any tourist office wherever you are and whenever in doubt. They will tell you the level of trail that is there on mountain. In 1 day you can cover, lauterbrunned, trummelback falls both.

takecare

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 14:29:33 #889124

Thanks Lucas. Shall progress on this & revert wherever needed.

Regards

KS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 14:30:35 #889125

Thanks Parag.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards

KS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 6:33:58 #889126

hello KS

I DAY in Zurich is More then sufficient.

In Zurich you can visit CENTRAL by tram . from CENTRAL have a walk to beautiful churches, Limmat river, view point ( full view of city) and at last walk down to Bahnhofstrasse ( a beautiful road around which you can see the stores,people, fountain and beautiful cars)

lucern is best place to stay as lucern has best connectivity to all the location, else you an stay in Engelberg if you want feel your stay more peaceful and close to nature. For Mt titlis you have to come to Engelberg , free bus shuttle available to titlis base station. if you have swiss travell pass then Titlis tour is free for you.

pilatus is very near to Lucern. the Pilatus tour will cost 36 chf if you have swiss travell pass (50% discount on swiss travell pass) .Take a mounain coaster ride at pilatus at 35 chf per pax.

my itinary

Grindelwald, Trummelbach falls, Lauterbrunnen valley, Murren all falls in same route to Schilthron. you take a train from Lauterbrunnen and then a small ride from bus.it will take a complete day if you want to cover all from luzern as it takes 5 hour to reach from train.

if you are staying at various hotels , you have to pay city tax 2 chf per day per person.Airfare is high during peak season ( july to oct).

itinerary for 8 day

1 day in zurich

2 day titis tour

3 day lucern city tour ( glacior mt park, dying lion, lake , church, old city ,clock tower, dinner at cruse )

4 day to Bern city tour. (aare river, city tour, park, parliament etc ). Thun is near to Bern, The castles of Thun, Oberhofen and Spiez on Lake Thun invite families to immerse themselves in the world of the middle ages.

5 day to schilthron ( it will cover , Lauterbrunnen, murren, Grindelwald ,Trummelbach falls)

6 day to beautiful chillon castel in montreux. it will take full day if you are staying in Luzern. 8 hour round trip.

7 day mt pilatus at luzern.

8 day to lake geneva

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 1:43:13 #889127

Noted Tinu your valuable suggestions. Will share the worked out itenary soon for further advice.

Thanks

KS

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 15:13:31 #889128

Dear All

Following is the worked out itenary. Please provide your inputs:

Day1 – Zurich Rhine falls explore & travel to base of Luzern

Day2 – Titlis, evevning Chappel bridge

Day3 – trip to Belenzona, Fluelen to Luzern boat ride while return

Day4 – Pilatus, return Alpnachstad to Luzern boat ride

can we add Mt Rigi on this day?

Or will it be too much of mountains?

Day5 – Change base to Lauterbrunnen

Trummelbach, Murren, Wengen

Day6 – Wengen – Jangfraujosh – Grindelwald

Day7 – Chocolate , cheese factory.

Q1 Can this be combined with Lake Thun & Brienz?

Q2 Any other option for Broc chocolate/ Cheese factory?

Day8 – Golden Pass line to Montreux, sightseeing to veve, Lousanne

Q – Is this doable in a day?

Day9 – If above itenary fits, this day can be made available for any recommended trip

Day10 – Early morning leave for Zurich for return flight

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 6:27:53 #889129

You could do both Pilatus and Rigi on the same day – use the timetable link from me earlier to plan it out.

I can’t say whether this is too many mountain trips for you personally. Some people are happy to do 1 mountain and others try to fit in as many as possible. I’d visit whichever mountain has the best weather in the morning of Day 4 then go to the other mountain in the afternoon if you feel like you want to (once you’ve been to 2 other mountains you’ll have a better idea if you want to go to a 3rd).

Day 6: spelled Jungfraujoch. 🙂 https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch

Day 7:
    Q1) You could make time to do Lake Thun or Brienz and then the chocolate and cheese factories yes (long day though).

Q2) I’m not sure you’re question here. Should you got to a chocolate/ Cheese factory other than Broc? Or another way to get to Broc?

Day 8: I’d stick only to Montreux sightseeing after the Golden Pass trip from Lucerne (5.5 hours).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 2:13:43 #889130

Hi Lucas

Wanted to ask if there is any other similar cheese and chocolate factory site alternative to Broc gruyees .

spelling noted ! Jungfraujoch.

while my Base being lauterbrunnen, could you suggest a days trip for the 9th day.

thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 5:50:01 #889131

The Funky Chocolate Club in Interlaken is a bit closer to you: https://funkychocolate club.com/

and another cheese option near Interlaken: http://www.interlaken. ch/en/activities-excursions-adventure-festivals/explore-switzerland-interlaken/explore-bern-interlaken/emmentaler-cheese-diary-affoltern-interlaken.html

For Day 9 what are your interests? Mountain trip, museum? paragliding or rafting? Have you seen our Jungrau region activity page here? https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 6:33:49 #889132

Hi KS

day 1 is ok, if time permits add lake Zurich cruise. It starts near to train station and also beautiful. Last ferry starts at 7.

Day 2 ok

Day 3 (I have no idea about Belenzona & Fluelen)

Day 4 Pilatus & Rigi both can be done, if you like mountains then it’s not much. Try Stanserhorn instead. I liked its open air gondola and you can reach through the same lake luzern ferry from Alpnach.

Day 5 is ok. Add on Schilthorn it’s on the way. And it’s 007. And it’s free if you have STP.

Day 6 ok

Day 7 is ok. You may add Lake Thun as cheese and choco factory is that way from Bern or Spiez.

Day 8 is ok, you should start early.

Day 9. I recommend Zermat. Even if you start by 9 am, you may be able to do both Gornergrat and Matterhorn, but either of them with the Zermat town is also good for the day.

Takeare

• The thread ‘10 days in Switzerland family tour on a budget’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.