Innsbruck to Zurich to Zermatt to Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2015 at 9:14:34 #806787

Hello….I’m planning a 2-week European Adventure and was researching the Switzerland part of this trip. I know there is a direct train from Innsbruck to Zurich. I plan to stay 2 days in Zurich then move on to Zermatt for another 2 days. I don’t plan to purchase a Eurail pass for this entire trip so I was researching individual tickets per leg. Should I purchase the Half Fare Card? Can I purchase it while in Innsbruck since it needs to be purchased outside of Switzerland? This should allow me to buy half-priced tickets from Zurich to Zermatt. Since that’s the only full Switzerland segment, is it worth purchasing the Half Fare Card? I looked at fares from Zurich to Zermatt, it will cost $248 (Comfort Class). If I purchase a Half Fare Card for 120 (Swiss Francs), does that mean I will be saving approximately $8 (based on today’s exchange rate)? I may go to Gornergrat while at Zermatt. It seems like the Half Fare Card is valid for 50% discount. At this point, the Half Fare Card will be worth it.

From Zermatt, I head out to Milan. I know I have to transfer in Brig before leaving Switzerland. While reading through descriptions of the Half Fare Card, it applies to my fare from Zermatt to Domodossola. But there seems to be a direct train from Brig to Milan. How is the fare broken down in this case? Will the Half Fare Card be useful for my trip from Zermatt to Milan? Should I just stick to full price tickets that I purchase at the train stations? Am I planning this correctly?

Sorry for the lengthy post and posting my original inquiry in the wrong Forum category. I appreciate any information and tips for this journey.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 January 2015 at 10:48:36 #841484

Hi boomer1,

Thanks for you post! I removed the duplicate one, no problem. A Swiss Half Fare Card would save you money over regular tickets. The Swiss Half Fare Card does not need to be purchased outside of Switzerland, but in your case it is best to get it in advance (see here for how to get it): there’s also a Swiss portion in your trip from Innsbruck to Zurich, so if you already have the card it will be cheaper. You can also use it for your trip to Zermatt, and the Zermatt to Domodossola leg of the trip to Milan.

The type of ticket you have is not related to direct trains or non-direct trains. You don’t get out of the train at the point where the Swiss Half Fare Card starts or stops working. You just need to have valid tickets or passes for your whole trip so you can stay seated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2015 at 4:31:36 #841485

Thank you very much for your advice!!! I’m looking forward to visiting Switzerland!!!

• The thread ‘Innsbruck to Zurich to Zermatt to Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.