Input needed on itinerary from Wengen base

• apintx
    Participant
    5 posts
    10 August 2018 at 16:03:31 #817801

After countless hours scouring these (and other) boards gathering such helpful info, we are finalizing our itinerary for a mid-September two-week trip to Austria (Salzburg and lake area-4 days) and Switzerland. Could you comment on our Wk 2 schedule? As this is our first trip to this region, we aren’t sure of our choices and travel practicality via trains. We are two couples, excellent health, interested in great hikes/scenery with a few towns (?Murren, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen…?) to stroll through to break things up. We’d also like to do a couple of day trips to charming places maybe with an Old Town area, quaint shops, historic churches/castles (Montreaux/Gruyere, Appenzal, Stein Am Rhine ??).

Day 1: Train from Venice to Lugano (overnight)

Days 2-6: Wengen base (5nts??):

*Jungfrau peak *Schilthorn *Trummelbach Falls *Paragliding *Hiking *

Day 7: Lucerne—?Mt Pil. Cliff Walk? Chapel Bridge, Lion Mnmt, Old Town (overnight to leave from Zurich airport )

Here are some of our questions:

1. Is this too much time in Wengen?

2. Is it doable to do 1-2 day trip(s) (Montreaux/Vevey (Chillon)? Appenzal? Other suggestions?) from our Wengen base?

3. Would you recommend purchasing both Swiss Travel Pass and BO Regional Pass?

We are so grateful for any input.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 August 2018 at 16:52:24 #893886

Hi Apintx,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. I don’t think so. There is plenty to see in the area. Much more than you can cover in 5 days. The longer you stay, the better it is for your chances to get some good weather to visit the peaks.

2. I think you mean Appenzell, right? That’s too far for a day trip. Montreux is also too far as you would spend at least 6.5 hours to get there and back without any sightseeing time. You can best check the timetable too see what’s doable for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. There is plenty to see much closer to Wengen: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/activiti es.

3. Normally that’s not a good combination because these passes offer similar benefits in the Bernese Oberland area. Many people do combine the Swiss Half Fare Card and Regional Pass Bernese Oberland though. Please see the below links to help you making a choice:

Does this help you out?

apintx
    Participant
    5 posts
    11 August 2018 at 20:15:16 #893887

Thanks, Arno, for your input. Yes, it definitely helps a great deal!

We will keep 5 nights in Wengen/BO area and scratch off Appenzell as that is too far. Still trying to see if we can somehow work in a quick visit to Chillon Castle.

1. We are rethinking our Venice/Lugano/Wengen route as it was pointed out that it might not be very practical route. Any other suggestions for a charming stop along the Ven-Weng route to overnight? Or (forgive my ignorance) is there a Scenic train that we could take to stop in Montreux and then head to Wengen late the next day? I understand it adds hours more to the trip but it might be more efficient use of our time overall as I’m hopeful about a trip to see Chillon Castle?

2. Someone recently mentioned a Saver Day pass. In your opinion, is a Saver Day pass a good combination to have with a half fare card? If so, where can I find more info on that?

Again, thanks for all your assistance. ap

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 8:27:30 #893888

Hi apintx,

if you take a train from Venice to Montreux (6-7 hours with as little as just one train change in Milan) you can then visit Chillon Castle the next day and then take the Golden Pass route to Interlaken and then on to Wengen. The timetable will give you the most direct train options between towns: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and you can read more about the Golden Pass route here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

I would look at just getting an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. Much simpler and easier than buying a Swiss Half Fare Card and then a few odd Saver Day Passes I think. You then only need to buy a ticket from Venice to Domodossola on the Swiss-Italian border on your way to Montreux.

• The thread ‘Input needed on itinerary from Wengen base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.