Travel insurance? & Questions on Kandersteg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 0:44:30 #812728

We are visiting the Kandersteg area in September and staying at a family owned farm for a week.

we had to prepay the entire amount to reserve our spot.any suggestions for insurance for our trip that we could get in case we cannot go?

We just want to have coverage in case the unexpected comes up and the family farm suggested to get insurance.

just want to get ideas of what people may have used in the past

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 6:56:23 #867330

Hi SuzReed54,

Often your credit card will offer travel insurance (if that is how you paid for the holiday). If not you could go through your home bank as well (often but perhaps not always).

A google search for travel insurance near you should come up with options for Americans, if your bank or credit card doesn’t offer it. I’m only familiar with some Canadian travel insurance companies myself.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 9:46:10 #867331

Thank you

I was thinking the same, but we have never run into this situation before.

it sounds like a wonderful place to stay in Kandersteg and are very excited to visit there. We just always like to be prepared for anything that may come up.

Happy travels.

have you hiked in the Kandersteg area? This is a new area for us, looks amazing!

we hike everyday so there is many choices to go on!

then, we will be traveling to Murren for a week of hiking in that area too.

appreciate your input.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 16:36:31 #867332

I haven’t been to Kandersteg myself no. I do have a few helpful links for you – and other members who have been there can chime in hopefully!

Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 July 2017 at 18:10:53 #867333

Kandersteg is wonderful! I’ll never forget the amazing view from Allmenalp, where this hike starts. But there are plenty of great places in the area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2017 at 14:23:34 #867334

We did the Gemmi Pass hike. ..coming down the Sunnbuhl gondola to Kandersteg we looked to the right and saw the incredible beauty of the Gasternal Valley…and decided to see if we could get there from the bottom of the gondola ride. Walked across the parking lot to a sign that said “Wanderweg” that headed up a waterfall…and up and up and across an old stone bridge…to THE valley. We just kept walking “…a little bit further” because it was so beautiful. Thought we would catch the post bus back to the base of the Sunnbuhl, but the bus was full so we hike, jogged, all the way down. The Gemmi Pass Hike back to Kandersteg was filled with wildflowers, cowbells, and no people. Friends are going to attempt the via ferrata at Gemmi later this month. It is a real doozy.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 July 2017 at 16:21:16 #867335

Hi Suz-

Insurance is a frequent part of everyday life in Switzerland. It is taken out to cover all sorts of eventualities. The suggestion was consistent with their approach to life.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2017 at 10:04:32 #867336

The Gemmi pass is very nice. We walk it in summer and also in winter. You can also walk to the restaurant Schwarenbach, but then you don’t see the beatiful lake.

Also good to do is from Kandersteg the Sudrampe, train to Hohtenn, walk to Ausserberg (Wallis) A very nice walk. You can also walk to Brigg, but is is to much for one day.

• The thread ‘Travel insurance? & Questions on Kandersteg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.