Interlaken 3 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2014 at 17:50:17 #806260

Hi, I will be in Interlaken with wife and one child [ 6 years] from 3-6 Apr. I will arrive and depart via Basel airport. I don’t want to go top of europe but want to see scenic places, lakes, and yes lot of snow if possible. Hotel is already booked in Interlaken. Which pass should I buy and will that cover travelling from Basel to Interlaken. Is bus best option to go to Basel SSB from Airport. Which places will be be easily accessible and nice beautiful to see along with child. I want to avoid top of europe for cost cutting only as seem too high cost but would cover rest. Thanks in advance.

Satya

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 March 2014 at 18:59:49 #839592

Hi Satya, welcome to our website,

The winter sports season is coming to an end in early April, so it’s a somewhat “in-between season”. That means that some cable cars/mountain trains will not operate (e.g. Grindelwald – First, Brienzer Rothorn). There won’t be snow in Interlaken. You should head to higher grounds to experience snow, and the Top Of Europe is one of the best places for that all year round. So is the Titlis. There will be snow on the Schilthorn too, but there isn’t much space to play there. However, depending on how the weather develops you can find snow elsewhere in the Jungfrau region too, e.g. in Mürren or Kleine Scheidegg. Currently it’s very warm, but new snow fall is still possible. Just ask the tourist office in Interlaken for the best options for snow. Other tips are on the Interlaken page.

A 4-day Swiss Saver Pass is one of the options. It covers the bus from the airport to Basel and the train to Interlaken for free. Other trains and boat trips are free as well. Trips to mountain tops are discounted. You best check the Swiss Pass page for all details, how it works, purchase options, etc. A Swiss Card could also work for you. It depends on your exact plans. See here for how to choose.

I hope this was useful for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2014 at 1:02:17 #839593

Thanks for suggestions. With 4 day swiss saver pass i will 25% off for top of europe but with swiss card i will get 50% for top of europe. Right?

By starting one morning from Interlaken can I finish titlis and come back to Interlaken. WIll whole trip to Titlis be free with 4 day swiss saver pass?

When you say not much space in schilthorn does that mean no space for sky or not much to roam around? I don’t plan to do sky but want to spend some time on snow where all around will be snowy with some snaps for my camera 🙂 Of course UK had snowy days last year but missed those snow here this year.

Also do suggest some trip options which I can start morning and come back by night to Interlaken and can cover with 4 day swiss saver.

Thanks again and sorry for so many query in one go

Satya

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 March 2014 at 10:01:35 #839594

Hi Satya,

Yes, the discounts you mentioned are correct. The 25% discount of the Swiss Pass starts in Wengen or Grindelwald, the sections prior to those villages are free. You can see the details on the Swiss Pass map and Swiss Card map.

You can travel to the Titlis in one day. See the timetable for details (fill out Kleintitlis as your destination). The train trip is free with a Swiss Pass, the cable car is discounted by 50%.

There is one ski route starting at the Schilthorn, and not much space to roam around on foot. The view is magnificent though. The Jungfraujoch and Titlis are better places to play in the snow. And as said before, there could be lower areas (cheaper to reach) covered in snow, but that depends on the weather once you’re there.

Day trips and hiking suggestions around Interlaken are listed on the Interlaken page I linked to. I recommend a boat trip on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. Check the timetables (links are on the linked pages) as the services are limited in low season. The St. Beatus Caves might be exiting for a 6 year old too. Hiking in the lower, non snow covered areas, is fun as well. Grütschalp to Mürren for example, is an easy short walk. Great for photographers too.

Kind regards,

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2014 at 12:28:42 #839595

hi, When you say there could be lower areas (cheaper to reach) covered in snow, which places can be those? Also as I will be having 4day pass, I can travel far across whole country. Hence can you suggest places for day trip which I can start early and come back to Interlaken in night. When I request 4 day pass, will family card come as part of it as I have a 6 year child as I don’t see option to request for it separately. Thanks Satya

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 March 2014 at 6:53:58 #839596

Hi Satya,

There are many areas that may have snow. I already mentioned several, and the Alpen tower near Meiringen could be nice too, but just ask the tourist office. For guaranteed lots of snow, go to the higher peaks that I listed.

Interlaken is centrally located and offers good train services, so you can do hundreds of day trips from there. You’d best look into the ones I already have you, and check traveling times in the timetable. A train ride on the Golden Pass route is very nice. More activities and hiking routes can be found by browsing the various region pages.

The Swiss Family Card will be offered when you order a Swiss Pass though any of the resellers listed on the Swiss Pass page. Just follow the links.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2014 at 0:47:40 #839597

Hi, I have ordered 4 day swiss pass and family card would come with it. Mountain rigi is covered with that ticket and Mt Titlis is 50%. So I hope I can cover them. On site I see travel time is 3 hours or more from Interlaken. Is that right or I need to check better train routes. Also I want to go for golden pass route but it does not come via interlaken. Which is station best to catch golden pass route train as I am staying in interlaken. Yes thanks for your inputs on snow. We have missed snow completely in UK this year and your suggestion will help in planning to spend some time in snow. Will both Schilthorn or Kleine Scheidegg be good bet for that. I don’t want to do winter sports. Just spend time walking around in snow and if possible take photos with whole background in snow 🙂 I see temp is above 12 during these days and hence not sure how much snow still can be present. Hoping for best.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2014 at 0:54:51 #839598

In my above query ignore word golden tour and read as Glacier Express. Golden pass goes via interlaken and is good option to go for. I assume I just have to pay for seat reservation only and the 4 day pass will cover actual cost.

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2014 at 9:04:38 #839599

Hi Satya,

If there’s snow on Kleine Scheidegg when you’re there, that would be a better place to play in the snow than the Schilthorn. There’s simply more space to roam around. The Titlis is indeed over 3.5 hours (one way) from Interlaken. Be sure to check the weather forecast in the morning so that you won’t be doing the long trip and end up in the mist.

The Swiss Pass also covers the Glacier Express, and indeed you only need seat reservations. But it’s too far from Interlaken to do the whole route. You could do the section from Brig to Chur, but still this would be a very, very long day. Just check the timetable for details. To cover the entire Glacier Express route in a relaxed way, one needs to stay overnight at either Zermatt or St. Moritz.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2014 at 10:07:27 #839600

is swiss pass also makes me eligible to travel free on golden pass? how can i know if snow is there in Kleine Scheidegg? As I might not have data roaming, whom i can check with when I am there. After this input i think may be I can plan to stay 1 night in Lucerne when i plan to go to Titlis. If I have to choose titlis or rigi, which one is better to go?

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2014 at 13:53:50 #839601

Hello Satya,

You can best check the Swiss Pass map I linked to earlier, it shows everything included in the pass. The Golden Pass route is included as well. For snow conditions just check webcams online or in the morning on the local TV channel, or ask the tourist office. In general, there’s more snow in places at a higher altitude. So in April, Jungfraujoch (3450 m) and Titlis (3000 m) are ideal, but Rigi (1800 m) mostly not.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2014 at 17:01:19 #839602

thanks for quick reply. Then I am on for Titlis. As it can be done with 100 euros for my family but for Jungfraujoch it will cost me more than double. I would love if any cheaper option in Jungfraujoch as I will stay in interlaken . let’s see 🙂 if any input keep me posted and yes thanks again for such valuable suggestions. Satya

Arno
    15484 posts
    25 March 2014 at 18:24:51 #839603

I’m glad I could help. Just visit the tourist office in the main street (next to Hotel Metropole), or at the rail station, to ask for alternative snowy places when you’re there. It would be great if you could post a trip report once you have returned. Other travelers really enjoy reading that, and you may win a hotel gift card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2014 at 21:38:16 #839604

Thanks. I will do that after I come back on 6th. Great inputs. But be sure I will be having new questions soon and will bother you with my series of queries again soon 🙂 Jokes apart on a serious note I think I am now well placed for my trip thanks to your advice and inputs. If anything I will post here. Satya add me in skype satya.routray and gtalk is routray.satya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2014 at 22:18:40 #839605

hi, as I see climate is already warm now, which places can i target to cover with my 4 day swiss pass? i assume some change in plans will be needed as it is not cold anymore. I assume Schilthorn will not have snow now. For Titlis the page says It’s a 10 minute walk from the rail station to the Titlis valley station. Does that mean to catch cable car you need to walk 10 minutes or it is different? Which boat tours you can recommend in Basel. Interlaken or Luzern?

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 April 2014 at 6:11:32 #839606

Hi Satya,

As recommended before, you’d best go for the highest places, Jungfraujoch or Titlis, and ask locally for other options. It’s indeed a 10 minute walk from the rail station in Engelberg to the cable car. Just follow the signs. Boat trip suggestions can be found here. For Basel, please see this page.

• The thread ‘Interlaken 3 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.