Interlaken area with baby at the end of September

• Leed1
    Participant
    6 posts
    15 August 2022 at 19:24:17 #828095

Hi, we’re planning a 7-10 days trip to Interlaken area at the end of September with a 10 months old baby.

1. We thought of staying at Lauterbrunnen as a home base and do some day trips from there. is it a good idea? what’s the best way to get there? (Flying to Zurich? Then a car or a train?) what’s the best way to commute? (Car/trains?)

2. We don’t want to go to attractions that are in very high altitudes, but we do want to do some easy hikes (with the baby in a carrier) and see views, what would you recommend us to do?

3. Is the end of September considered off season? Will things like cable cars and hotels be closed at that time?

thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    15 August 2022 at 19:36:03 #945663

Hi Leed1,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

1. Lauterbrunnen is a great base for hiking in the Jungfrau region. To get to Lauterbrunnen, I suggest taking the train from Zurich Airport. You can use the timetable to check train schedules and plan your journeys. You might want to think about buying a railpass.

2. There are lots of easy trails in the surrounding areas and you can easily plan day trips to Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald and Interlaken. You can find plenty of suggestions here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lauterbrunnen/activities. You can also plan boat trips on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. These trips can also be combined with excursions to local mountains. Click on the links to get more details.

3. September is not really off season but it won’t be as busy as July and August. Cable cars and hotels are definitely open in September.

Regards,

Anna

Leed1
    Participant
    6 posts
    16 August 2022 at 13:48:25 #945664

Thank you so much for the info!

I saw there are not a lot of hotels available for the dates we arrive in Lauterbrunnen. If we plan to use trains, what other towns can I check for hotels? (Arrive there by train from Zurich, and go hiking from)

thanks!

Anna
    6355 posts
    16 August 2022 at 14:33:35 #945665

Hi Leed1,

Aside from Lauterbrunnen, you might want to consider staying in any of the following villages:

Alternatively, if you prefer a bigger town, Interlaken is a good option: http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/hotels

Regards,

Anna

Leed1
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 August 2022 at 16:49:08 #945666

Hi, thanks! And another question 😀

we’re not sure if we should take the train or rent a car. I see here you recommend on taking the train but do you think the train option will be ok with luggage and a stroller and a baby? When you buy a ticket for the train, do you have a reserved seat? Is there a place for luggage?

Is it ok to change diaper for the baby in the train? 😅

thanks again

Anna
    6355 posts
    19 August 2022 at 8:37:11 #945667

Hi Leed1,

The Swiss train system is comfortable and efficient. In general, there is no need to make seat reservations except if you’re travelling on special panoramic trains. There are luggage compartments on each carriage and space for bikes and strollers too. Some trains have carriages specifically designed for families with children. And it’s generally ok to change your baby’s diaper on the train. I’ve had to do this a few times in the past travelling with my children when they were infants. You can find more practical information about how to use Swiss trains here: How to travel by Swiss rail

Most destinations in the Jungfrau region are easily accessible with public transport. Certain destinations such as Wengen and Mürren are car-free zones, and most mountaintops and trails are only accessible by mountain transportation, so if you plan to rent a car you’ll have to think about where to park. More information about using car vs train here: http://www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Interlaken area with baby at the end of September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.