Interlaken as the base – Good or bad idea?

• Amey
    Participant
    2 posts
    3 June 2018 at 22:50:28 #816420

Hello,

Thank you very for the detailed information available on the site.I have also gone through different forum posts on this site but have a specific question to know if Interlaken base for my below itinerary will lead to lot of travelling or is it manageable.I am planning to visit Switzerland from 7th Aug to 14th Aug.

All the visits below I am planning to do from Interlaken.

(To and from Geneva)

Day 1 (7th Aug) – Arrive in Geneva and head to Interlaken. Hotel Check in and relax.

Day 2 (8th Aug) – Jungfraujoch and Trümmelbach waterfall visit.

Day 3 (9th Aug ) – Mt Titlis Visit

Day 4 ( 10th Aug) – Rhine Falls and back to Interlaken.

Day 5 (11 th Aug ) – Zermatt ( I need to explore more the places to visit here)

Day 6 (12th Aug) – Interlaken near by places (Thun etc)

Day 7 (13th Aug ) – Check out and leave for Geneva (Take Golden Pass route) : Plan to cover Montreux (Chillon Castle)- Hope the Golden pass route is covered in the 8 day Rail pass ? But I read somewhere that booking is needed in these trains, is that so ?

Day 8 (14th Aug) – Geneva Local sight seeing and then fly back.

> Can you suggest if visiting these different places from Interlaken should be okay and does the itinerary look varied in terms of coverage.

> I am interested to take the Glacier express route as well but not sure how I can fit in the itinerary which I am thinking.Your expert advice / opinion can also help in this regard.

The main reason of planning base at one place is to avoid the time of Checking in different hotels and the time required to settle again at new place.

Thanks & Regards,

Amey

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 10:55:26 #887236

Hi Amey and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are willing to do 2 bases I’d pick Montreux for the first 2 nights (and do a day trip to Zermatt) and then Lucerne for the rest. Otherwise Interlaken is your best bet for getting good train connections to most places.

Use the Swiss railways to plan out all your trips: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

If you haven’t read about choosing a rail pass for your trip look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Amey
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 June 2018 at 22:50:31 #887237

Hello Lucas,

Thank you very much for replying and giving valuable suggestion.

I will definitely check the links shared by you for my travel.

Thanks once again and I will come back if i have any doubts after detail planning.

Regards,

Amey

• The thread ‘Interlaken as the base – Good or bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.