Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen itinerary

• orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    25 April 2023 at 17:56:45 #829692

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether the following itinerary is doable. Advice is appreciated!

Day 1 – Train from Lucerne to Interlaken maybe around 10/11am –> plans are to go to Harder Kulm for the day, Lake Thun boat tour in pm

Day 2 – Interlaken to Grindelwald in the morning –> go to First Cliff Walk and check out the Cafe in town, head to Aare Gorge after

Day 3 – Hike around Lauterbrunnen

Questions:

– I don’t know if Day 1 is too packed as it takes 2 hours to get to Interlaken, should I move the Lake Thun boat tour to Day 2/3? If so is it better to do Aare Gorge after Lauterbrunnen?

– I want to be able to maximize the places to go but not have it too jam packed. Not sure when the sites close in the evening.

THANK YOU

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 April 2023 at 19:01:10 #953779

Hi orangej,

On Day 1, I think it’s more practical to combine an excursion to Harder Kulm with boat trips on Lake Brienz. The funicular to Harder Kulm and the boat docks for Lake Brienz are both easily accessible from the Interlaken Ost train station.

On Day 2, I would combine trips to Grindelwald First and the Grindelwald Glacier Canyon in one day. I would skip the Aare Gorge or do it the next day after the hike in Lauterbrunnen.

On Day 3, combine Lauterbrunnen hike and visit to Aare Gorge or some other activities.

You can find more sightseeing options in Interlaken here: http://www.myswissalps.com/interlaken/activities

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2023 at 21:34:28 #953780

You don’t say where you are staying and what baggage you will have with you at what point in this itinerary.

I would not miss the Aareschlucht. It is located near Meiringen, which is on the Luzern – Interlaken Brunig pass railway , so you could do that on the way from Luzern.

Personally I don’t think it is necessary to go to Harder Kulm, if you are going to go closer to the Jungfrau at Grindelwald. A combination of lake boat trips and mountains will be a good balance

You also don’t say what you want to do when you ‘hike around Lauterbrunnen’. The latter is a small area so you only need a few hours to do this.

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    25 April 2023 at 23:43:48 #953781

Hi there,

Thank you both for the feedback. Interlaken will be our base, we are going this week so Glacier Canyon isn’t open.

I’d still like to see Harder Kulm, would this make sense?

day 1 – Harder Kulm then Lake Brienz boat tour

day 2 – Grindelwald First then back to Interlaken for Lake Thun

day 3 – Lauterbrunnen then Aare Gorge?

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    25 April 2023 at 23:45:00 #953782

Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Is the dock for Lake Thun boat tour not close by? Do we have to book in advance or can we just get on the boat with our Swiss Travel Pass?

Yolanda
    2361 posts
    26 April 2023 at 5:23:54 #953783

Hi orangej,

1. By all means, Harder Kulm is worth a visit. On a clear day you would be able to see the mountain peaks of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Maybe take a look at the Lake Brienz boat link, provided earlier by Anna so you can have a think about which boat trip would suit, so you can plan a little.

2. You would need to arrive at Interlaken West (or Thun) for your Lake Thun boat cruise. Do you use the timetable link so you can plan. More details here:

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass, your boat trip is free on Lake Thun.

3. Yes, Lauterbrunnen to Aare Gorge. Perhaps a reasonable start to the day would not go amiss. You can give yourself a time frame for your visit/hike in Lauterbrunnen so you can then enjoy the visit to Aare Gorge in a timely manner.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    28 April 2023 at 17:44:15 #953784

Thank you both for the advice! I was able to enjoy the trip to Harder Kulm and Lake Brienz!

How long does Grindelwald First take? Would I expect to spend just the morning? Not sure if trails are open right now.

Also, how long does the Lauterbrunnen hike to see the falls and Trummelbach take?

Anna
    6382 posts
    28 April 2023 at 20:54:55 #953785

Hi orangej,

The journey from Interlaken to Grindelwald takes about 35 mins. From Grindelwald station you can reach the Firstbahn valley station on foot in 5 to 10 minutes. The cable car rides to First take about 25 mins. You can find details on how to plan your trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwaldfirst/gettingthere. The First Cliff Walk is directly accessible from the summit station and the restaurant. The trail to Bachalpsee is probably still closed. You can easily spend the entire morning at Grindelwald First.

I suggest spending the afternoon in Lauterbrunnen. You can walk from Lauterbrunnen station to the Staubach waterfall and enjoy the beautiful views of the surrounding mountains. The trail is easy: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lauterbrunnen-stechelberg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Interlaken, Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.