Hiking advice please for Interlaken in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 10:06:09 #818916

Hi folks,

My partner and I are hoping to visit Interlaken and surrounding areas for 3 or 4 nights around the 13th or 14th of March. We are not experienced hikers but do enjoy easy to moderate hill walking. My worry is that there won’t be any open walking trails around that time of year – I have googled and asked on Trip Advisor with no luck, so would hugely appreciate any advice this forum can give!

Thanks in advance,

Ciara

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 18:25:33 #898934

Hi Ciara and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Indeed hiking at March will be extremely limited. Essentially hiking around the lakes in the Interlaken area or a few low elevation trails perhaps. Otherwise the trails are closed (typically until mid-June) or if some are open it is for snow shoeing.

You can see some suggestions on hikes around the Jungfrau region here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s but plan on waiting until you arrive to see what is open – only those under 1500 meters may be doable…

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2018 at 18:53:50 #898935

Hi Ciara-

It is hard to beat the experience of hiking in the grandeur of the high Alps, when the trails are clear. As Lucas notes, altitude is the determinant. And, even though some high altitude trails may be partially open, they will be closed until the danger of a snowslide or icy stretches can be ruled out. Mid June , or better, late June and early July is a better bet.

Since even in May, when I usually travel to Switzerland, those trails are not accessible, so I hike or walk at lower altitudes. Not as grand, but still some nice scenery all around Lake Lucerne. For example:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

And, this trail on then other side of the Alps in the Rhone Valley is typically dry and sunny. It may not open officially until about Easter time, but, with care to avoid a few rockpiles and stay away from edges where the guardrails were taken down for the winter, its a possibility:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hiking advice please for Interlaken in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.