Interlaken-Jungfrau-Lauterbrunnen in a day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 5:54:30 #811068

Hello,

We are a group of 3-4 families visiting Switzerland in early-May this year. The group has kids between ages of 6-12. We are drawing up an itinerary and need some tips on a day in the Jungfrau region.

We are staying in Interlaken and are considering a plan like: Morning (around 8.30AM) take the Interlaken-Grindelwald-Kleine Scheidegg route to get to Jungfraujoch (reach by about 10.30AM). Sped about 2 hours there and take the route down via Lauterbrunnen (reach by 3pm). At Lauterbrunnen, take a bus to Trummelbach falls and spend time there (about 1.5 hours, up to 4.30pm). After that, walk down to Staubbach falls and then train back to Interlaken.

My questions are:

1. Are 2 hours sufficient on Jungfraujoch? If not, what would your suggestions be?

2. Is the day too hectic or can be done with the time on the train rides used for getting some rest.

3. We should do Jungfrau on a day and then do the Schilthorn-Murren-Lauterbrunnen leg on a separate day?

Any other tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    14 March 2017 at 13:28:25 #860065

hi

i did Switzerland, swiss alps last year and i too stayed in Interlaken for 3 days…

your day of interlaken-grindelwaldjungraujoch is good.. but get there early..

there is a early discount pass, you get the first train out.. i believe its 7:30am… and you have until 12 noon to leave…. its about $50 cheaper..

i spent about hour and half. more time is spent getting to Jungfraujoch.. as you have to transfer multiple trains…

you can do everything you want all in one day. may be tight and after long day… can be tiring.. kids will have so much energy.. but you also want to have a leisure day to soak in the beauty…

or another day, i would do Schillthorn, lauterbrunnen and falls. (i did that on day 2.. along with town of Lauternbrunnen… lots of shops, restaurants, sights; along with town of Grindelwald, first cliff walk )

i stayed in Lauternbrunnen as my hub to the swiss alps.. 3 nights… it was easy to get to junggraujoch and Schilthorn, and easy to grindelwald, murren, and gimmelwald.

enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 21:51:37 #860066

Hi…

Which pass did you buy? how were your tickets cheaper??

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    15 March 2017 at 0:38:50 #860067

hi

im from New York ( so my prices may be in US dollars and time will be in 12 hour interval.. haha)

i got myself the Half Fare Swiss pass…

i started in Zurich, then to LUcerne, INterlaken, Lauterbrunnen, then to Bern.

within lauterbrunnen, i went grindelwald, murren, gimmelwald, schilthorn.

all were discounted half the cost of the full fare..up to Kleine Scheidegg

the Jungfrajoch i believe is 50% off of full fare. i think my fare was 90 CHF.. full price i think was 180 CHF

there is a good morning ticket for Jungfraujoch, which requires you to take the first train out.. i think its 7:30 or 8am.. and you must leave at 1:15pm… which is more than enough time to enjoy the beauty.

i believe i took the 7:30am and got to Top of Europe at 10:30ish. i started out at Interlaken.

Discount tickets to Jungfraujoch

http://www.european-traveler.com/switzerla nd/save-on-swiss-train-tickets-to-the-jungfraujoch-top-of-europe/

enjoy

you should calculate how many train rides you will take and see if its worth getting the Half Fare Swiss pass compared to the Regular Swiss..

i probably save more with Half Fare than with regular swiss pas.

the half fare cost 120CHF and every train ride is 50% off.

enjoy the Swiss…

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 March 2017 at 7:06:00 #860068

Just for inspiration, here’s another one day travel plan: myswissalps.com/oneday jungfrauregion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 8:54:38 #860069

Thank you for the suggestions!

@bouboucadeau from your reply I gather that there is a maximum amount of time one can spend at the top if a Good Morning ticket is used. Is that right?

bouboucadeau
    Participant
    20 posts
    15 March 2017 at 14:05:06 #860070

hi

that is correct.. good morning ticket is valid for the first train out, i believe its 7:30am or 8:15am…

and you have to take the last train out which i think its 1:15pm…you have leave earlier but the last train you must take is that… not sure what would happened… maybe a fine or something or the price difference…

but it should be plenty of time to enjoy the jungfraujoch..

i got there around 10am and i took the 12:40ish train out….

as midday comes closer.. ALOT of people would be there… so its better to enjoy the beauty with few people in the early morning.. you might see a late sunrise…..

beauty is waiting for you.. enjoy

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 March 2017 at 16:26:06 #860071

Hi salildesai and bouboucadeau!

Just a note: the Good Morning Ticket is meant for travelers who don’t own a rail pass. Regular discounted tickets bought with a rail pass, such as the Swiss Half Fare Card, are cheaper than the Good Morning Ticket. Both discounts can’t be combined.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2017 at 3:36:31 #860072

Ok, understood.

Thank you all again for the help!

• The thread ‘Interlaken-Jungfrau-Lauterbrunnen in a day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.