Interlaken & Jungfraujoch itinerary & ticket price

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 10:17:41 #812618

Hello everybody,

I am just building up my itinerary and require help and some clarifications.

We are a family of 2 Adults and 2 Children (Ages 9 and 4 ) travelling to Geneva on the 13th of August arrival by 14.15 hours, then to Interlaken on the same day i.e. 13th of August and intend to make Interlaken the base for my stay till the 15th. 15th till the 17th, intend to stay in Zurich and visit Lucerne.

I intend to take the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days. Is a 1 Day pass available for the 5th day or only Point to Point tickets?

Question – Will I be able to make it to the Golden Pass Train which is from Montreaux given that am reaching Geneva by 14.15 hours?

13th – 15th Interlaken

14th – Trip to Jungfraujoch (weather permitting)

Question 1) With the Swiss Travel Pass (25% discount), the fare in the excel calculator states 136.5 CHF for a SINGLE journey. – Does it mean the return is not included? However, this link http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/bergbahn/ticket?date=2017-08-14&from=Grindelwald&to =Jungfraujoch&trip_typ e=T&class=second states that the RETURN Fare is CHF 142.6. Please clarify.

I understand that for my younger child (aged 4), there are no tickets. However, will reservation on the KS-Jungfraujoch section be needed for him as well?

Also, would it better to book/reserve tickets much closer to the date of the journey on account of the weather? Is online booking of tickets permitted and will they be e-mailed to me.

Question 2) For sightseeing near Interlaken, I have narrowed down on HarderKlum. This requires travel by a Funicular train. Will the STP cover this or will i get a discount on this? How is HarderKlum as a place and any other tips on the same?

Question 3) We plan to do some cycling in and around Interlaken. Will my children be allowed to cycle on their own or are there restrictions?

Question 4) Any other sight seeing tips in Interlaken besides Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, most importantly to keep the kids engaged.

Will get back on the 15-17th plans.

Thanks in advance

Ravi

Ravi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 11:19:27 #866820

Hi Ravi and welcome to MySwissalps!

There is a one-day pass but you must also buy the Swiss Half Fare Card with it – so this wouldn’t work out for you with the costs I think. You would be better off I think buying point to point tickets (on the first or last day of your trip, whichever is cheaper with transport).

You can be on a panoramic train on the Golden Pass route that day yes. Check the Swiss railways timetable here. Enter Montreux to Interlaken (via Zweisimmen). The trains noted as MOB panorama or MOB Belle Epoque are the panoramic trains.

1. Our price is for Wengen to Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald, which is a few Swiss Franc more than the website you note, which is Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald again.
    2. Harder Kulm is included with the Swiss Travel Passclick here to see a PDF map that shows all routes that are covered.
    3. Yes, they can cycle on their own if you/they wish to.
    4. We have a list of activities in the Interlaken area here. Listed on the 2nd page is the Ballenberg open air museum which the kids may like quite a bit.

I hope this helps your trip planning!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 12:58:25 #866821

Thanks a ton Lucas, that was really fast.

1. That means To & Fro Jungfraujoch (one way up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald) is what is listed on the excel sheet.

2. Just repeating my earlier questions:

3. I understand that for my younger child (aged 4), there are no tickets. However, will reservation on the KS-Jungfraujoch section be needed for him as well?

4. Also, would it better to book/reserve tickets much closer to the date of the journey on account of the weather? Is online booking of tickets permitted and will they be e-mailed to me?

5. For Mt Titlis, Can i book it online or do i need to collect / reserve the ticket at the valley station?

Thanks once again , am afraid am sound a bit repetitive.

Regards

Ravi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 19:04:21 #866822

Hi Ravi,

1. Correct
    2. Yes your 4 year old is free, but if you want to make a reservation for him on the Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch route you will have to pay for it – they aren’t mandatory.
    3. Yes, I would wait until a day before, before buying tickets to make sure the weather is good. 🙂
    4. Yes, you can buy them online if you wish. You can buy them online here.
    5. You can buy this online as well or at a train station in Switzerland – whichever you prefer!

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 13:35:07 #866823

Thank you so much Lucas. Appreciate your prompt and detailed replies.

For 4) and 5) above, will i have the “print at home” options?

Thanks once again,

Regards

Ravi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 14:20:21 #866824

Hi Lucas,

Need some advice on carrying medicines / altitude sickness.

Will carrying medicines for my children or ourselves (for common cold / fever / altitude sickness etc.) require a medical prescription for immigration into Switzerland?

Regards

Ravi

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 July 2017 at 14:27:01 #866825

Hi Ravi,

The Titlis tickets can be printed at home if you order via http://www.getyourguide.com/e ngelberg-l53/titlis-excursion-from-engelberg-t69491/, and possibly also via http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains.

Printable tickets for Jungfraujoch possibly via http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /panoramic-trains (pick E-tickets as delivery option), but you can buy them locally too.

The Swiss Travel Pass can be printed at home through nearly all websites listed on myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price. The easiest way is to go visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass within 1-3 business days, but usually less than one business day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2017 at 14:29:33 #866826

Thank you so much Arno, you guys are amazing.

Thanks once again

Regards

Ravi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 8:43:48 #866827

HI Ravi,

No, you shouldn’t have any issue bringing in standard “over the counter” medicine as you described into Switzerland.

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Interlaken & Jungfraujoch itinerary & ticket price’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.