Interlaken & Luzern trip report October 10-18

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 11:25:47 #871680

We plan to do something similar next summer but we will be driving from southern Alsace to Lucerne. Then we will make our way to the Jungfrau region for 3 days before returning to Alsace via Bern.

At what point should we park the car and take the train?

Thanks,

Christiane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2017 at 16:08:33 #871681

Hi Christiane,

You could leave it in Lucerne and go from there to the Jungfrau region without issue. It really depends on where you are staying as well. Some towns like Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen allow cars, others like Mürren and Wengen do not so in that case the farthest in you can drive is Lauterbrunnen.

For options on various Swiss rail passes you can buy for the trip click here. If you drive into the Jungfrau region you could then just buy the Jungfrau Travel Pass to use during your stay there (it won’t cover travel from Lucerne to Interlaken).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2017 at 16:21:27 #871682

<<“We stayed 4 nights. Not sure if there is a minimum. view was awesome of the church and Pilatus.

I think the rental company website is HITrental. ch”>>

Thanks

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 November 2017 at 16:25:54 #871683

Hi Lucas –

The most readily available parking in Luzern is a lot more expensive than the garage at Lauterbrunnen. Don’t remembr exactly, but maybe as much as 2 – 3 times as expensive.. I mentioned costs earlier in this thread.

If it is a rental car, you could park it for free at some country railroad stations……I’d not leave my own car that long, even though Switzerland is really low-crime.

Slowpoke.

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Interlaken & Luzern trip report October 10-18’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.