Town in Jungfrau region in January for non-skiers

• Franks4duke
    Participant
    12 posts
    22 October 2018 at 2:27:29 #818766

Planning a trip the first week in January. Arrive Zurich on the 5th. Had thought about staying in Interlaken for 3 nights , and taking a day trip to Jungfrau (weather permitting), but not sure what else to do. Upon doing some research, I’ve learned that some people suggest staying in Mürren, Lauterbrunnen or Grindlewald. Would like a hotel within walking distance of the train station. Which town would you suggest we choose for our home base? We would love to have a sledding outing (we aren’t skiers) and would appreciate any input regarding other activities in the area during that time of year. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    22 October 2018 at 15:20:17 #898215

The best sledding run in the area you mention is at Grindelwald, in the First area ( http://www.grindelwaldbus.ch/ en/sledging ). First (pron. feerst) is the name of a mountain, not a numeral adjective.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2018 at 15:54:42 #898216

Hi Franks4duke,

Skiing is the main activity in the Jungfrau region in the winter.

Sledding and snowshoeing would be other outdoor activities and then simply going up nearby mountains, like First, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn etc. See our suggestions here (be sure to check if the mountain is operating on the route tab, as some don’t open in winter) http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

I think Grindelwald is your best bet for finding some options other than skiing or stay in Interlaken which gives you good connections to towns outside the Jungfrau region

Franks4duke
    Participant
    12 posts
    23 October 2018 at 18:36:39 #898217

Thanks for the tips!

Would you choose Grindelwald as a home base given that we want to take the train to Jungfrau and also would like to do some sledding, both of which would be in that area? Or would you choose Interlaken and take the train to those areas? I know we want to visit both towns, just not sure which one to make a home base. We want to try to stay near the train station regardless of which we choose, and also be in walking distance of restaurants and shops.

Thanks in advance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2018 at 7:12:23 #898218

I’d stay in Grindelwald for sure. Interlaken is not that interesting, especially in the winter for snow activities. You’ll end up just traveling to Grindelwald area each day probably.

I can’t think of a reason to visit Interlaken in the winter, let alone stay there to be honest. There are some smaller mountains for snow activities that you can access from Interlaken (Niederhorn, Axalp etc) but I’d stay recommend staying closer to any mountain area you want to experience.

• The thread ‘Town in Jungfrau region in January for non-skiers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.