Interlaken or lauterbrunnen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2012 at 22:15:01 #804952

Hi !
    Actually i’ve booked an apartment in interlaken for 5 nights already.But after reading so many forums ,I’m really confsed…that many advice “lauterbrunnen” over interlaken as it is a beautiful village.
    My travel dates will be march 20th to 25th 2012.
    and my plans are to visit 1.Jungfrau, Trummelbach
    2.Lucern,Mt Titlis
    3.Zurich
    4.Take Glacier express from Brig to Chur and be back on same day
    5.Mt.Schillthorn.
    All the above …which can be done according to the weather.Also since v opt for self catering apartments ,they want a minimum of 5 nights stay.
    Please advice me whether i can go in for a booking in LB.? will the travel time be hectic( 20mts from LB to Interlaken) everyday for sight seeing?
    Is it safe to stay over lauterbrunnen ?v are single Indian family with 2 kids ?
    Thank you.Waiting for your review before going ahead with my alterante booking.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    25 January 2012 at 10:12:01 #834979

Hello prethiba. Both Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen are a great choice for your stay, and both are safe. Which one you prefer, is a matter of personal preference. Interlaken is located very centrally and offers great connections to all destinations you have in mind. Lauterbrunnen is smaller and situated in a beautiful village. Whether you don’t mind the extra traveling time involved, is up to you. This recent discussion on Interlaken versus Lauterbrunnen can provide some more ideas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2012 at 13:03:27 #834980

Hi Prethiba, we visit Switzerland every year and love to stay in Interlaken. Interlaken is very central and you can travel to all destinations from there. It is only a 20 minutes travel by train from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen, and from there you take the bus to the Trummelbach Falls and when you want to go to Schilthorn you take the cable car to Murren and from there to Schilthorn. From Lauterabrunnen you take the train via Wengen to Jungfraujoch. (The swiss saver pass cover your train travel up to Wengen – from there you must pay additional fees) You can also travel from Interlaken Ost via Meiringen to Lucern to go to Engelberg (Mt Titlis). From Interlaken you can also go to Spiez, change trains there to go to Brig, also just 20 minutes from Spiez. Zurich is about 2 hours from Interlaken via Bern by train. In short, you can easily get to all the destinations from Interlaken, but if you stay in Lauterbrunnen you have to travel everytime to Interlaken to get to your other destinations. (This is based on you itinerary) We always get a swiss saver pass, so we can travel everyday on all trains, busses, ferries, trams as many times as you wish. A nice outing to do with kids is the Transport Museum in Lucern. When you exit the trainstation in Lucern, just in front of you, you will find the ferries and get on, at the first stop (they will announce) you get of at the Transport Museum. If you want to stay in Lauterbrunnen, and not travel elswhere, I will stay in Lauterbrunnen, but all the places you want to visit, Interlaken is the best option. You can also visit Marinette in the Valais and see the St Bernard Dog Museum, what a highlight playing with the dogs. Enjoy your vacation, we just got back after 3 weeks in Switzerland. (Staying in Interlaken in one Hotel).

• The thread ‘Interlaken or lauterbrunnen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.