Interlaken or Montreux for 2 nights before Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 5:04:11 #815887

I am on a 15 trip in Switzerland in June. I will arrive in Zurich stay 2 nites and travel to Luzern to stay another 2 nites. Then I planned to head for Interlaken for another 2 nites. However, I heard Montreux is a more interesting place compared to Interlaken. Should I head for Montreaux for 2 nites from Luzern which after Montreaux I planned to go Wengen? Or should I just stay put at Interlaken which is near Wengen? Any advice will be much appreciated. I am travelling with my wife.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 5:33:16 #884867

Wengen is a more attractive place to visit than Interlaken. You could easily spend 4 days in Wengen and do a day trip to Montreux. Depends what your itinerary looks like after the Jungfrau Region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 5:49:34 #884868

Thanks Rockoyster. I planned for 3 nites at Wengen. So I could skip Interlaken and spend 5 nites in Wengen and make a day trip to Montreux?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 5:55:42 #884869

Yes, Interlaken is a good transport hub but not the most scenic place. But what are you doing after Wengen? Did I read correctly you have 15 days?

There is much to do in the Jungfrau Region and a day trip to Montreux is certainly possible. Look at the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) for one way there and let the SBB timetable show you the fastest return route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 6:02:37 #884870

After Wengen, I am heading for Zermatt for 2 nites, to Samedan at St Morit 2 nites and back to Zurich. However Wengen hotels are filled up. Should I skip Interlaken and head to Montreux to stay 2 nites there before I head to Wengen? Or is Murren a better option to skip Interlaken?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 6:14:49 #884871

There is nothing wrong with Interlaken. It will be quicker to reach Montreux from there.

Or by all means go to Montreux then back to Wengen if that appeals.

Logistically it might have been better to go Luzern, Wengen, Montreux, Zermatt but no big deal. Montreux and Interlaken are different experiences. At least at Interlaken you are still within reach of the wonderful Jungfrau area.

On your way from Wengen to Zermatt be sure to go via Kandersteg. You will travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 6:24:05 #884872

Is the Regio-Express Lötschberger train covered under Swiss Travel Pass? So when I leave Wengen, I should take this train in the direction of Kandersteg to Zermatt?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 6:30:54 #884873

You will pick up the Lötscberger at Spiez. Just search SBB timetable for Wengen to Zermat via Kandersteg. That will show the connections.

Yes it is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. It is just a regular train despite the grand name.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 6:35:42 #884874

Thanks for the information given, Is very helpful. Appreciate your kind efforts.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 May 2018 at 6:42:18 #884875

When you catch the train at Spiez make sure you get on the right half of the train. The timetable will tell you which half of the platform to be on and it is well sign-posted. I’m not sure if this happens for every train but at least for some when the train arrives at Spiez from Bern. The front half continues to Brig via Kandersteg. The other half of the train goes to Zweisimmen.

Happy travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 7:42:03 #884876

Thank you once again Rockoyster for the useful information. Noted.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 11:26:26 #884877

Hi. Just returned from our wonderful trip. I plan to write a more detailed trip log, but wanted you to know we really loved Montreux. Stayed directly across from the train station at Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic with beautiful views overlooking the Lake.

Also, ditto to the discussion about making sure you are in the proper half of the platform for certain trains. If it says 5A, make sure you are at A and not B. We nearly made this mistake.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 14:04:30 #884878

Thanks for the information Tamival. Looking forward to head there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 2:51:01 #884879

Hi Rockoyster, taking the train Regio-Express Lötschberger train, do I need to do reservation or just be at the train station to catch the next coming train?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 May 2018 at 2:54:29 #884880

You don’t need a reservation. It is just a regular train despite the grand title.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 3:16:31 #884881

Thank you Rockoyster for the info.

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    24 May 2018 at 4:12:17 #884882

Hi Simage

May I put in a suggestion to stay at Kandersteg for a couple of days? I’m staying there at the moment. It’s a small place among the mountains but with a good range of hotels, and stands in impressive sheer-wall mountain scenery. There’s plenty to do, trips to local beauty spots, Oechsinnen Lake above the town or Blausee a short bus ride away,.It has a lovely atmosphere.

I’d also recommend Spiez or Thun as larger stopovers – very attractive towns on the Thunersee, where you can take the ferry for a relaxing day.

All these places are within easy reach of each other and the Interlaken / Wengen area by the excellent and regular train services. You are also close to the beautiful capital Bern. So much to choose from!

Have a great time.

John

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 6:10:00 #884883

Hi JohnYorks

Thanks for your information. Will look into your suggestion for my coming trip. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful country.

• The thread ‘Interlaken or Montreux for 2 nights before Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.