Interlaken Ost to Wengen is it included in Eurail

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 1:58:18 #816290

We have a Eurail pass 3 countries. Includes Switzerland. In late August we are travelling to Wengen just to experience the scenery. Train from Zermatt to Wengen via Interlaken& Lauterbrunnen. Stay overnight Wengen . Following day train to Geneve from Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken and on via the Golden Pass line to Montreux, to Geneve. By what I’ve read to travel up to the top of Jungfraujoch is very expensive. So we won’t do this. But what will we need to pay from Interlaken to Wengen? Do we receive a discount on this fare? We only have 8 minutes at Interlaken. We will each have a suitcase.I would like some information and advice. If its going to be very expensive, perhaps some ideas as to what our pass can give us to see the views and we will stay overnight at Interlaken instead.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2018 at 4:11:09 #886649

Hello AusCol and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The Eurail Pass is fine for major intercity routes but not so good when you head into the mountains of the Jungfrau Region. Once you head south from Interlaken you will need to buy tickets for any travel in that area. The discount offered with Eurail is 25%. For more information consult the map you can download from http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railselectpass/validit y.

On your way from Zermatt to Interlaken I’d recommend you include via Kandersteg. You will then travel between Brig and Spiezon the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 6:17:55 #886650

Hi AusCol,

Interlaken to Wengen will be about 15chf per person one-way (less your 25% discount).
    Check the SBB timetable for schedules and prices. The first price you see is the Swiss Half Fare Card price – so double it to get the regular fare.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 10:46:57 #886651

Thank you for your suggestion. We are interested in this more scenic route. Would you still recommend it if you knew we are travelling from St Moritz to Zermatt by the Glacier Express a couple of days prior to our arrival in Zermatt? As its one hour longer it would mean we would arrive later in Wengen. We only have one day there, being the day we arrive.

We will return to Interlaken early the following morning as we will join the Golden Pass line to Montreux and on to Geneva.

Can I ask about Annecy? We are only going to Geneva to get to Annecy. We will probably take a bus from Geneva. Is there a way to get there from Montreux without having to go to Geneva? We would love to be able to do the whole journey in one day arriving in Annecy that night, rather then having to stay in Geneva as we are not interested in Cities.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2018 at 10:52:54 #886652

Your call on whether an hour of scenery on the train is worth an extra hour in Wengen. I’m just offering information.

Sorry, can’t help you with Annecy advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 14:33:43 #886653

The SBB timetable will give you the quickest routes be default, which, from Interlaken is through Geneva.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    2 June 2018 at 7:28:35 #886654

Hi AusCol,

An hour on a scenic train journey or extra time in Wengen. The latter is wonderful but, in my opinion, it’s still worth taking the scenic route between Brig and Spiez via Kandersteg with its twists and turns and the magnificent views over the Rhone Valley.. In fact the base tunnel ‘saves’ you only half an hour. Leave that for when you really need that half hour. An hour of ever changing scenery verses an extra half hour in Wengen.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 6:27:58 #886655

Hi – I’m now attempting to look at our journey Zermatt to Wengen via Kandersteg. on Tue 28 August. Your suggestion was the more scenic route via Kandersteg. travel between Brig & Spiezon the Regio -Express Lotschberger train. So through the spp website Ive found the following

Zermatt

dep 08:52 4 h 27 min 4 GEX, RE, R, R, R (GEX 902 to Brig), RE 4266 RegioExpress to Spiez, R 6720 Regio to Interlaken, R 161 Regio Richtung: Lauterbrunnen , R 361 Regio to Wengen

arr 13:19 Wengen

Is this the correct train we should be attempting to get on? In Interlaken we will only have 7 minutes to change trains. I don’t think this is enough time as we will have a suitcase each (trundle wheels) plus we will have to buy our ticket for the Interlaken to Wengen sector, as we have Eurail Pass. We need to purchase this sector . this information I received from Jungfrau Railways Rail information : “Holders of a Eurailpass can travel free until to Interlaken and then get a discount of 25% for the trip further up to Wengen. A one way ticket from Interlaken to Wengen holding Eurailpass is CHF 11 per person, so not too expensive J.” “Trains from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen and Wengen leave every 30 minutes. So don’t worry about the 8 minutes. Just go the platform 1 to get the tickets from Interlaken to Wengen and then catch the train leaving a half hour later ”

So we will hope to book on the train from Interlaken to Wengen 1/2 hour later then the “7 minutes” connection that spp site suggested.

Wednesday 29 August Wengen, Interlaken, Montreux (using the Golden Pass Line, Geneve. We overnight in Wengen and continue on our journey hoping to book on the Golden Pass Line. I think I’ll book the VIP seats if I can, as we have 1st Class Eurail tickets. The departure at 1425 Zweisimmen to Montreux arriving 1613 sector hopefully is the MOB Panoramic train. If I can’t obtain tickets on this one, there is a trian at 1625 arriving Montreux 1813 – I think its the “classic”. Then there’s the 1705 departure arriving at Montreux at 1913. There is also another departing 1825 arriving 2013. These last two MOB trains, I’m wondering can you still see the amazing scenery when travelling very very late in August? In Australia 2013 would be darkness.

thanks for any advice once again. Ta AusCol

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 June 2018 at 7:01:24 #886656

You don’t want to take the GEX 902 from Zermatt otherwise you will have to pay for a reservation!

Otherwise you have the route correct.

You don’t need “bookings” on this route on regular trains.

The change over at Interlaken Ost is not a problem providoing you buy your 25% ticket before you get to Interlaken. You can do it at any station in Switzerland when its convenient fo you.

The timetable will tell you is a train is a MOB train. Not all the Panoramics have VIP seats. For Golden Pass Zweisimmen to Montreux you can make reservations including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Just change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. And click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”).

It should still be light at 20:13 in August.

Hope that helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 7:47:33 #886657

fabulous information! Thanks heaps. So we can purchase the Interlaken Ost to Wengen section in Zermatt? We have two nights there. The sector RE 4266 RegioExpress Brig to Spiez at 10.36 shows R for reservation possible. As we need to ensure we are on that train … I think we should reserve. Can I do that now? We have 1st Class Eurail – do you know how much the reservation will be and do I do this on the sbb site? (oops I’d put spp before – I’m getting confused) the sbb website has Reservations cost CHF 5.00. – I think this is what we have to pay each. I’m puzzled with the bike symbol with a line through it on the Lauterbrunnen to Wengen sector.

Zermattdep 08:37 3 R 226 Regio Richtung: travelling via Visp with a change in Visp & risking not making the change .. arriving in Brig at 10.02 to get on the 10.36 departure.

I think the earlier departure with no change of trains to Brig Bahnhofplatz will be the better option?Zermattdep 08:13 5 R 224 Regio Brig Bahnhofplatz arr 09:37 platform 14. I’ve researched and discovered the Brig Bahnhofplatz and Brig stations are a matter of walking out the front of one of the station and will see the other one?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 June 2018 at 8:24:34 #886658

Reservation probably not required on the 4266 especially in 1st Class but if it makes you more comfortable make reservations at bit.ly/2HHB2Ev.

The Zermatt train will conveniently drop you at the front door of the Brig Bahnhof. It’s a short stroll.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    10 June 2018 at 9:02:58 #886659

Hi AusCol

rockoyster’s advice, as ever, is good. With tickets already in hand the eight minutes at Interlaken Ost is normally an easy change – done it many times and never missed. Make sure to get into the Lauterbrunnen portion of the train – turn left from the underpass to platform 2, sector A.

The leisurely 21 minute train change at Spiez will give you time to wander outside the station, cross the road and enjoy the wonderful view over Spiez and the lake to the Bernese peaks beyond. The attached picture shows the Neiderhorn but the big peaks are round to the right.

An opportunity also exists for you to take in a lake cruise which is not difficult, even with luggage. Your Eurail pass is valid and your first class tickets are a definite advantage on the boats.

Either: from Spiez catch the number 64 bus from Spiez Bahnhof (just by platform 1) down to Spiez Schiffstation (about 5 minutes) and board a boat there. Or, simply stay on the train to Thun and take the 12:40 boat which is scheduled to be the Paddle Steamer DS Blümlisalp. The boats take you to Interlaken West where there is an easy change back to the train and on to Wengen by your original route.

All this shows the great advantage of Switzerland, where straightforward journeys from place to place can be turned reliably into really good day trips. You’ve obviously mastered the time table so off you go! Of course, it may be raining with no views, but in late August the weather is often good and the trees may be just starting to turn to their beautiful autumn colours.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 9:33:56 #886660

Wow – you have just blown my mind with your suggestion of a lake cruise!! That would be fabulous, I would have loved to include one, but could not see an opportunity with the small amount of time we have. So, even with luggage, our first class Euriail tickets can let us stay on the train to Thun and take the 12:40 Paddle Steamer DS Blümlisalp to Interlaken West , change back to the train and on to Wengen by our original route.

My husband suggests you and I are both crazy to even think we could do this. So you’ve opened this up for more questions! Where can I look at schedule for Paddle steamer DSBlumlisalp and book … and see when it arrives in Interlaken West. Will there be a train from Interlaken West to Intelaken Ost and then on to Wengen? How long are you on the paddlesteamer? Is this included in the ‘free’ part of our Eurail pass? (1st class)

I’m keen, but my husband needs convincing its not going to stress us out and cause problems arriving into Wengen in time to ”see Wengen” as we will be leaving the following morning around 9.30am

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 10:13:26 #886661

Hi AusCol,

Be sure to read through RockOyster’s first post with the validity page of the Eurail Pass. You don’t want to miss out on what it covers for you!

For details and links to schedules for Lake Thun cruises find our Lake Thun boat cruise page: https://www.myswissalp s.com/boatlakethun

You can also us the timetable (my first post) link to find boat (and any other transport) schedules. Once you’ve searched for the route (and been taken to the SBB timetable page) hit advanced search and de-select all forms of transport you don’t want.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    10 June 2018 at 11:00:46 #886662

Hi AusCol,

I remember, in my early days of exploring Switzerland in the 1980s, planning a journey from Geneva to Wengen which included no fewer than nine changes including a cable car for a mountain restaurant lunch. Years later I discovered that my wife had had severe misgivings but, of course, it worked perfectly.

As Lucas says, the boat timetables are on the SBB site just like the trains as well as on the BLS site http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/fahrplan-sommer-2018.pdf?la=en&vs=1 for a printable timetable.

If you want more time in Wengen (you really should have arranged to stay there longer) the option to sail just from Spiez to Interlaken West is an hour quicker than via Thun.

Your train from Brig gets to Spiez at 11:44 and the bus down to the jetty leaves at 12:14 (time for a quick snack in Migros restaurant across the road?), takes five minutes and the boat leaves at 12:28 arriving Interlaken West 13:49. You’ll be up in Wengen at 14:49. If you stay on the original train another 10 minutes from Spiez to Thun, you have 42 minutes in Thun before the paddle steamer sails at 12:40 and everything after that is an hour later, i.e. in Wengen at 15:49 or 2½ hours later than if you’d gone direct. So many decisions!

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 13:34:29 #886663

Once again – Wow! I downloaded the site http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/fahrplan-sommer-2018.pdf?la=en&vs=1 for a printable timetable. . What I can see is the Ferry is “Summer Lake Thun” Ferry Cruise no. 13. (What is the name of the Ferry?)

Therefore, We arrive in Spiez at 11:44 and catch bus down to the jetty which leaves at 12:14. Join cruise Number 13 departing at 12:28 arriving Interlaken West 13:49. But the train to Wengen leaves from Interlaken Ost at 14.05 arriving in Wengen at 14.49. I see on the Ferry timetable I downloaded a time Interlaken Ost 13.57 .. but the symbol alongside Interlaken West may mean we cant use this transfer as we would be using our free ticket being 1st Class Eurail pass holders “1-day boat tickets purchased at the normal price entitle the holder to free travel between Interlaken West and Interlaken Ost. 1-day tickets purchased at a special price and all other boat tickets are not valid.”

Therefore, I’d have to look at booking train to Wengen from Interlaken West, to Interlaken Ost and on from there? Is this interpretation correct ? I see there are 1st class and 2nd class prices . I think its a good idea that I book to ensure we are on this boat.

We would have liked to stay longer in Wengen, but accommodation is expensive as we are travelling on a tight budget, as retired last year and this is our 40th Wedding Anniversary holiday gift to each other. We are staying one night in St Moritz, sharing a bathroom and its 135chf . We know we will love Switzerland, but we can’t afford to stay too long.

Can I ask about Zermatt? We are at 4.20pm. Is there something we can do that afternoon using our “Eurail Pass” either discount or free trip. We have a full day in Zermatt the next day, are there any discounts we can get on any cable car or something which will take us part way up one of the mountains? We can walk back into town. (sorry to throw this bit into this thread … hope its ok)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 19:50:18 #886664

Hi AusCol,

Interlaken Ost is 5 minutes by train from Interlaken West. You can use the timetable from my first post to you to plan the connection and any others.

On most days there is a 13:53 train that will get you to Interlaken Ost 4 minutes later (and cost about 4chf).

You can’t book any of those trains though and in any case if you miss the one to Wengen at 14:05 there is another one at 14:35.

Eurail passes don’t get any discounts for mountain transport in Zermatt unfortunately. The Eurail Pass validity link Rockoyster gave you on an earlier post gives you details.

If you want to head up a mountain there to get the best views of the Matterhorn (well worth it if you have good weather) I’d look at Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn. Sunnegga is another option you can check out when you are there: http://www.myswissalps.com/sunneggarothorn.

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    10 June 2018 at 20:50:30 #886665

Hi AusCol

Your Eurail Pass will take you all the way to Interlaken Ost with or without the boat option. After that you’ll need tickets which are discounted by 25% with your pass. Booking is neither required nor necessary. First class is ‘upstairs’ on the boats. Please don’t feel you have to use the boat option but it’s something we’ve done rather more than twice and enjoyed.

If the boat is busy it might be an idea to get in position (right hand side of the boat looking forward) for a quick disembarkation a minute or two before reaching Interlaken West. When the boat arrives at Interlaken West at 13:49, walk forward from the boat, turn right into the underpass and up the stairs or lift to the platform.

Then:

Interlaken West depart Platform 1 13:53

Interlaken Ost arrive Platform 7 13:57

Interlaken Ost depart Platform2A 14:05

Lauterbrunnen arrive Platform 2 14:25

Lauterbrunnen depart 14:37

Wengen arrive 14:39

If you still have to buy your ticket for Interlaken Ost to Wengen you will probably miss the connection at Interlaken Ost while doing so. If you bought it earlier as advised, the connection will work. It’s designed to.

I suggest you sit back and make notes of all the basic details in this thread which will help you avoid over-complication. There is some very good advice from both rockoyster and Lucas. Once you see it in Switzerland you’ll realise how easy it is.

Finally, let your Wengen Hotel know when you expect to arrive and you will be met at the station.

Enjoy your holiday and Happy Anniversary.

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2018 at 10:42:52 #886666

Hi Andrew, I’m back to re-looking at our journey from Zermatt to Wengen via Kandersteg. on Tue 28 August.

I was keen on the Boat from Spiez to Interlaken as you suggested. But reading your post again you said “an opportunity exists for us to take a lake cruise on the Paddle Steamer DS blumlisalp to Interlaken West. That is if we stay on the train another 10 minutes from Spiez to Thun, have 42 minutes in Thun before the paddle steamer sails at 12:40 to nterlaken Westand everything after that is an hour later, i.e. in Wengen at 15:49 instead of 14.49 if we take the Boat Spiez to Interlaken.

So that is Cruise No. 15 12.40pm arrive 14.53 Interlaken West.? And this is the Paddle Steamer DS blumlisalp. And its free for us as we hold a 1st Class Eurail Pass

Whereas Cruise No. 13 from Spiez at 12.28 is just a Ferry …. or is it a Paddle Steamer too?

So I’m now leaning towards the Paddle Steamer from Thun, as Sunset in Wengen should be around 8pm, we would still have plenty of viewing time to look at the area? Is this correct?

What is your opinion of this new scenario? If you think its the better option, how do we get from the train station in Thun to the the Paddle Steamer departure place and what would be a good option to do in Thun? just have an early lunch and soak up the views – as we will have two suitcases between us … or can we leave the suitcases at the Paddle Steamer departure area in a secure place?

Yes Andrew … so many decisions. Thanks heaps for your wonderful advice once again.

AusCol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 10:27:55 #886667

Hi all – the above message (Concerning would you recommend the Paddle Steamer option over the Ferry question) was meant for everyone … I welcome your comments. Another question. The Paddle Steamer from Thun to Interlaken … is that necessary to reserve seats on that departure to ensure we have seats? Once again … holders of 1st class Eurail & we are seniors. If it is necessary is there a reservation fee? Following along it being necessary, will I email the Paddle Steamer company book, pay & receive a email confirmation or pay when we arrive at the Paddle Steamer, quoting a booking number. I say we’d probably have to be at the Paddle Steamer departure place 30minutes prior to departure anyway, so is it a comfortable walking distance from the train station with two trundle suitcases?

looking forward to any comments and hints on this …. thanks heaps -AusCol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 11:18:49 #886668

Hi AusCol,

Don’t worry – all questions are always answered here! 🙂

You can find the printed schedule for the Lake Thun boat cruise here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/boatlakethun under more information on other websites.

Page 24 on the The PDF file shows the symbols and what they mean so you can see which departure is a paddle steamer.

Reservations are not possible on any boats.

The ferry terminal is next to the train station in Thun, and you can leave your bags at the station in lockers (about 7chf with coins only). Thun is a lovely city to grab lunch and explore: https://www.myswissalp s.com/thun

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Interlaken Ost to Wengen is it included in Eurail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.