Brienzer Rothorn, where do I leave luggage?

• Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    3 February 2019 at 17:04:12 #819752

First thanks for all of the help thus far with planning our trip. I’ve enjoyed reading posts each day garnering helpful insights, tips and new adventures to add to our itinerary.

Would love some help w/ understanding a more about the Interlaken Ost train station and in particular the luggage lockers. Specifically where are the lockers located? Are they on the outside facing the tracks? Thought I may have spotted them in a picture. Do you pay directly at the individual locker or at a centralized machine? If payment at the locker is it cash only or is credit card an option? Our plan is to arrive on early train from Luzern, quickly dropping our bags and catching train towards Brienz onward to Brienzer Rothern. We have 10 minutes to make that happen from Track 4…both arrive and depart. Trying to assess if that’s feasible or do we hold onto bags and store at Brienz. Appreciate anyone’s expertise and experience making this happen.

We are excited to explore Breinzer Rothern. Any recommendations on things to not miss there would be appreciated.

One more question, our early train from Luzern doesn’t show as having food. Is there still a snack bar or such onboard? Trying to understand if we need to grab something at the station before we board.

Thanks all for all of the valuable insights you share!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2019 at 15:34:08 #903409

Hello Drtrupper

Thank you very much for the appreciation of MySwissAlps.

Regarding your questions I don’t understand why you want to store your luggage at Interlaken Ost trainstation. Leaving Lucerne you reach Brienz before Interlaken and you can thus get off at Brienz directly and store your luggage there before visiting the Brienzer Rothorn.

Regarding food on the trains, only InterCity trains have a guaranteed restaurant carriage so maybe take some snack along. The journey only takes 1.5 hours so you can also consider eating before or after.

I hope this makes your planning easier.

Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    5 February 2019 at 3:21:47 #903410

This is exactly why I appreciate this forum so much. This was a revision to my original plan which involved stopping at Interlaken Ost and then on to Spiez. When I changed our itinerary it never dawned on my to just stop at Brienz! That’s a perfect solution that will dramatically reduce my stress level and make our day so much more relaxed. Will still get to experience Interlaken Ost lockers before we head up to Harder Kulm! Thank you so much for your help, prompt response and special thanks for smoothing out our stay!

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    5 February 2019 at 4:14:36 #903411

Hi Drtrupper,

I had stored my luggage at Interlaken West when I took a boat ride to Spiez. I would assume there are lockers at Ost as well, since that is a fairly major hub. You do need to have cash for them as I don’t recall seeing any means for a credit card. Make sure you have some “exact change” with you. I believe they were either 6 or 8 francs (coins only). Harder Kulm is pretty beautiful up there and it’s not even a ten-minute walk from the station, I believe heading west along the river. Have a great trip,

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2019 at 2:20:53 #903412

Are you travelling the 06.06 from Luzern? – seems very early. The 07.06 and after have catering. However there are also supermarkets and bakeries at Swiss stations so you can easily get food

Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    6 February 2019 at 3:07:47 #903413

Thanks all for your input. Originally planned on the 6:06 train out of Luzern but now thinking 7:06. SBB app says it works w/ 3 minute walk connecting to Brienzer Rothorn Train. Not sure that will give us enough time to drop luggage but we are traveling light w/ only carryon luggage so will be ok if we have to take w/ us. We will be prepared w/ coins in the event we can make it happen! Thought I read somewhere that the Brienz station has a drop off area for luggage. Of course can’t find that anywhere now…just my luck. Thanks again for all of your help w/ my questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2019 at 0:14:56 #903414

Is there any particular reason for the ‘dash’ to get there?

3 minutes at Brienz is too tight if you haven’t been there before – especially as you have to cross a main road as well!

Could you get a later train from Luzern, or a later train up from Brienz?

Drtrupper
    Participant
    23 posts
    7 February 2019 at 5:03:49 #903415

It seems like a tight connection to me as well although that is what’s recommended on the SBB timetable. My plan is to still catch the 6:06AM train which will give us plenty of time. It is tempting to sleep in that extra hour.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2019 at 1:24:37 #903416

I notice the reference to Harder Kulm.

Please consider whether you need to do both, if that is what is forcing the early start. You get similar (perhaps better) views from the top of Rothorn

• The thread ‘Brienzer Rothorn, where do I leave luggage?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.