Interlaken area April – Wilderswil or Grindelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2017 at 14:57:55 #813798

Hi, i will be visiting Switzerland on 16th Apr 2018 and plan to base first 2 nites at Interlaken area. Will go to Jungfraujoch so looking for accommodation along the route. Which place is recomended between Wilderswil / Lauterbrunnen Valley/ Grindelwald? We are looking for budget stay as expenses in Switzerland is really high… Appreciate your advise.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 2:59:57 #872759

Hi pstan, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

They’re all suitable places to stay. If pricing is your priority, just pick the cheapest accommodation that meets your needs. Before booking, make sure you know where the closest transport is, how frequent it is, and how early/late it runs. Cheaper accommodation is sometimes not so well served by public transport.

You didn’t mention Wengen, but that is my favourite place to stay in the Jungfrau Region, as the scenery is stunning. Grindelwald also has stunning scenery, but is a little more touristy and has car traffic, which gives it a different ambience from car-free Wengen. Lauterbrunnen is also scenic in a different way as it is on the valley floor, surrounded by high cliffs, and has car traffic.

Wilderswil has a charming little area near the river, and a historic covered bridge, but the surrounding scenery is not as impressive as in Wengen, Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen in my opinion.

In the end, it’s just a matter of personal preference.

This page might help you find somewhere suitable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 8:45:18 #872760

Hi Alpenrose666,

Thanks for your reply. Initially Wengen was my first choice but I read from some other forum saying that Apr is not a good month to visit Wengen as most of the hotels and restaurants are closed. Is that true?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 10:05:43 #872761

Hello pstano629,

The ski season usually shuts down by mid-April at the lower resorts and many hotels and restaurants close during April through about mid May for a break between winter and spring seasons. Grindelwald might be your best option to find a hotel as it is larger than Wengen.

You could also consider staying in Thun, where it’s already green end of April. You can do a day trip to Jungfraujoch from there but also spend time around Lakes Thun and Brienz and take a boat trip for example.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 10:50:41 #872762

Thank you Chantal, I will do some research on Thun as well. 🙂

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    10 December 2017 at 13:52:17 #872763

Hi pstan

I would agree with Alpenrose that Wengen would be my first choice as well if you can find accommodations of course. You might look on websites like TripAdviser to see whitch hotels would be open and prices. Wengen is large enough that I would guess some hotels will be open but just check. Wengen is small enough that you can easily reach the train station from about anywhere in town and to me the scenery and ambiance are a step above Grindelwald and Lauderbrunnen and two steps better than Interlaken or Wilderswil. Last I have found the half board at the local hotel to be a good choice. The food and service was excellent and we didn’t have to search for restaurant for breakfast or dinner. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 December 2017 at 16:17:07 #872764

Hi Marki,

I tried to search the hotels and AirBnb in Wengen, sadly not many fit within my budget for the dates i chosen.Since Wengen is very close to Lauterbrunnen, perhaps we can stay in Lauterbrunnen and explore Wengen for half a day?

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    10 December 2017 at 17:58:58 #872765

Hello again

Did you check for deals on TripAdvisor? Grindelwald has more hotels and rentals than Wengen and might work as well. As third choice Lauderbrunnen or Interlaken would work quite well. Day trips to Wengen and Grindelwald should be very easy to arrange. I would expect you would have a great experience no matter where you stay. The Jungfrau region is that special. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2017 at 7:57:05 #872766

Thanks Marki! I’ll check with all websites to check hotels available for these area during that period of time. Can’t wait to visit Jungfrau!!

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 December 2017 at 8:11:02 #872767

Hi pstano629,

If you go to the various town links in Chantal’s post, you can review the Hotels tab for suggestions, including budget options like the Bernerhof in Wengen (about €100/night at the moment for April bookings).

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    11 December 2017 at 12:13:19 #872768

Hi pstan

there are many hotel websites you can check. TripAdvisor has 20 hotels listed. Chantal’s link has 8 listed. One thing I try to note is what filters are available on the hotel lists. TripAdvisor s default is “ best value “ but can be changed to customer ranked , priced high to low , or priced low to high. Usually the default filter will promote hotels that have paid a fee to the website. This of course helps pay the bills for the website and is reasonable. Personally I pay close attention to customer ranking and read the reviews for an overall average picture of the hotel. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2017 at 14:05:22 #872769

Thanks everyone for your advise! I’ve found a hotel within the Jungfrau region for 3 days. The reviews are good so I will give it a try.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    11 December 2017 at 16:13:30 #872770

Great, enjoy your trip

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 December 2017 at 18:57:13 #872771

Hi pstano629,

Good to hear you found something that fits your needs. Which hotel did you book?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 3:29:57 #872772

Hi Arno,

I decided to stay at Holiday Park at lauterbrunnen then visit the villages nearby from there 🙂

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 December 2017 at 6:21:16 #872773

Great, that’s an affordable place and still at walking distance from the train station to do your day trips.

• The thread ‘Interlaken area April – Wilderswil or Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.