Cost Interlaken to Jungfraujoch in $USD

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 August 2018 at 22:19:27 #817845

Greetings….

What is the cost in USA dollars for a round trip ticket from Interlaken to Jungfrach train station?

This is for one day trip in second week of October 2018 —- I just want round trip rail ticket — I don’t plan to take the special train to the top of the peak.

Thanks for your help…

Daniel Petelin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 4:00:24 #894073

You should not put your email address on public forums.

Hopefully one of the moderators will see it and can remove it for you.

Revisit this page and someone may answer your question.

Use this website to get ticket prices. Fill in your name and DOB and tick “no discount” to get the correct price or you will get the half fare price.

Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg return pp is 82.80 CHF in October without a discount card.

Best bet though, is to find out the cost in CHF and then google currency translator and do your own conversion from CHF to USD.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 6:42:13 #894074

Hi Danila and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So Jungfraujoch station is the top station at the peak. If you don’t want to go to the top, you can go to Kleine Scheidegg station or to the eigergletscher station.

The Swiss railways timetable gives you the one-way ticket cost automatically. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The first price you see, beside the train departures (in red box) is the price for Swiss Half Fare Card holders. Double it for the regular price, one-way fare, then double it again for the round-trip cost – all in Swiss Francs.

We also have a PDF list for the case of Jungfraujoch where you can find prices as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/tickets

We have information on the Swiss Franc and a currency converter listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2018 at 10:08:31 #894075

Hi Danila-

<<“What is the cost in USA dollars for a round trip ticket from Interlaken to Jungfrach train station?”>>

This map will help you understand the location and names for the various stations:

map.search.ch/?pos=643577,158704&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

Mouse over a station to get the correct spelling of the name.

The only station with “Jungfra….” in the name is Jungfraujoch. That is all the way at the top.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 14:24:13 #894076

When we were in Switzerland few weeks ago the exchange rate is roughly CHF 100 equals about US$110.00. Swiss francs is about 10% stronger.

we used our credit card for purchases and charged it in Swiss francs not in dollars and actually got a very good rate when the banks converted it it was approximately 1.009,.

if you pay in dollars then you’re looking at the approximately 10%

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2018 at 15:19:02 #894077

<<“When we were in Switzerland few weeks ago the exchange rate is roughly CHF 100 equals about US$110.00. Swiss francs is about 10% stronger.

we used our credit card for purchases and charged it in Swiss francs not in dollars and actually got a very good rate when the banks converted it it was approximately 1.009,.”>>

If you got 1.009, which is approximately 1%, you got an extremely good rate.

The bank rate today is 0.9937. (or, the inverse, 1.0063. That is the rate for exchanging millions of dollars between banks. It has been right around 0.99 to 1% for the last few months. That means that you (or a bank) pay 99.37 CHF for 100 USD. Or, you (or he bank) pay about 100.6 USD for one CHF. Over the last year, that rate has varied between a low point of 0.94 in March to about 1.00 for the past few monthsand is at 0.9937 as I write this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/mark ets/currencies

My USA credit cards are selected for good rates and no fees/per transaction. Today, they include a Mastercard, a Visa card, and an AMEX card. Currently, the amount they charge for changing the money is about 2.7 to 3.0 %. So, to look at it the other way, for a purchase of 100CHF, I pay approximately 3.5% more dollars, about 3% on top of the about 100.06 % bank exchange rate. After the bank’s exchange cost, a 100 CHF purchase costs about 103.3 t0 103.7 USD.

10% is the kind of rate Travelex charges at their kiosks at airports in the USA and Switzerland.

1.009 is not a 10% premium.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2018 at 15:51:54 #894078

Hi Slowpoke

i agree it is not 10% that is why I was attempting to tell the person to charge their card in CHF not in dollars

when we accidentally charged the card in dollars it ended up being 10%. Premium

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2018 at 17:12:19 #894079

You got a great deal. possibly, your credit card company was using an obsolete benchmark rate, though I’d be surprised. You have the right idea o choose to pay in CHF..

I always pay in CHF. You don’t know what exchange rate will be used if you accept the convenience of having your purchase recorded in USD. Just one more way to squeeze a little more money out of the unwitting consumer. ;-(

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Cost Interlaken to Jungfraujoch in $USD’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.