Interlaken to Lucerne panoramic train reservation

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 20:45:13 #820580

Looking at the Interlaken to Lucerne panoramic train. I can’t find this listed in your panoramic trains pages. I see it is part of the Golden Pass line but is the trip from interlaken to Lucerne on a panoramic train?

On the timetable I can’t interpret the symbols used (I know IR and IC) but which one is the panoramic train?

Do you have to reserve this? Is it worth the reservation fee for this short 2 hour trip? What are the extra features provided?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2019 at 21:37:54 #907499

A Panoramic Express is denoted “PE” in the timetable.

The Luzern-Interlaken Express is not a Panoramic train and does not require reservations. It’s a regular commuter train which runs hourly. You won’t have any difficulty seeing the views.

The Golden Pass is made up of a rag tag assortment of trains. The MOB Panoramic runs between Zweisimmen and Montreaux.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 23:01:51 #907500

Thank you rockoyster. No wonder I couldn’t find it. I’ll definitely take the express as it saves changing trains 4 times.

Their website makes it sound as if the Interlaken to Lucerne bit is a panoramic train too! http://www.goldenpassline.ch/ en/interlaken-ost-luzern/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 6:26:37 #907501

Hi Paddington,

Opinions vary about which train is supposed to be called “panoramic” and which not, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder and at the end of the day it’s the scenery that’s panoramic, not the train.

I would also opt for the direct train, without reservation.

Until around the 14th of April parts of this journey (Lucerne to Alpnachstad) will have to be done by bus, due to construction work in the train station. In Alpnachstad you then join the Lucerne – Interlaken Express.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 8:40:07 #907502

Hi Steph,

Thank you. I thought panoramic referred to the curved upper windows in the carriage but the scenery has to be panoramic to make it worthwhile so I can see that both definitions work!

We are coming to Switzerland from May 27 for a few days then back again mid to late June. So hopefully everything will be back to normal by then. No wonder the current timetables show such disjointed travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 9:55:25 #907503

Hi Paddington,

Of course, both is true, regarding the panoramic.. 🙂

Yes, by June everything should be “normal” again on that track, but even when work is going on, the detours and additional connections are normally set up and organised really well.

Happy travelling.

Best,
    Steph

NancyAR
    Participant
    22 posts
    25 March 2019 at 14:50:36 #907504

Hi Steph

i had not read about the construction. We plan to travel via train on April 19 from Zurich to Wengen via Lucerne for the scenery. Will our plans be affected?

NancyAR
    Participant
    22 posts
    25 March 2019 at 15:06:12 #907505

Steph, never mind, I had Alpnachstad confused with another village! I appreciate this forum so much, we are using Saver Day Passes two consecutive days and are truly looking forward to experiencing what we are able to with only 2 days.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2019 at 20:19:26 #907506

Hi Nancy,

Construction works are scheduled to be completed on 15 April.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2019 at 22:20:55 #907507

Panoramic is in the eye of the beholder. http://www.zentralbahn.ch/en/ interlaken-express

Arctic_Wolf
    Participant
    40 posts
    25 March 2019 at 23:30:18 #907508

Indeed. And sometimes beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 March 2019 at 1:52:09 #907509

Cheers! 🍻

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2019 at 3:45:23 #907510

Thanks rockoyster

It all looks pretty beautiful to me! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2019 at 1:24:56 #907511

This question comes up so often here that I have it ready as a ‘copy and paste’ on my comouter!

21st century tourist branding can be confusing.

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brunig Pass (the true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux).

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular hourly regional trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. Just take one of these trains and get off at Meiringen.

The ZB trains were replaced recently with new ‘on trend’ modern unit trains and they have big windows – don’t worry about the lack of official ‘panoramic’ windows as these are arguably overhyped across Switzerland – It hardly matters anyway as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

In any case on the Brünig route you are not really in the high Alps – lots of the views are below the train and there is quite a bit of forest

A few facts about the Montreux – Zweisimmen railway – ie the MOB (Montreux-Oberland – Bernois):

The Golden Pass is historically only Montreux – Zweisimmen, only more recent marketing branding takes the ‘Goldenpass route’ east of Zweisimmen to Interlaken and beyond to Luzern.

The Golden Pass is the touristic branding for the Montreux – Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway but after a few years of favouring ‘Goldenpass services’, the company decided it was losing its tradition and has reverted to putting the Chemin de Fer Montreux – Oberland Bernois name on publicity and train coaches.

MOB pioneered the Panoramic coach concept on Swiss trains, starting in 1976.

There are now several versions of panoramic coaches in service, but MOB keeps changing its mind how to dub each service.

You will get roughly the same scenic experience form any train on the MOB and reservation is not obligatory

Here is the timetable PDF for the MOB:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/120.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2019 at 4:08:48 #907512

Thank you 1960man. Nice to know the history and continuing operations.

Those timetables are great too. I like to see them laid out like a piece of paper 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2019 at 1:01:26 #907513

they were going to abolish the famous old paper Kursbuch but it has been reprieved:

http://www.fahrplancenter.com /2019%20SCHWEIZER%20KU RSBUCH%202019%20dt%20p .pdf

fahrplancenter.com/201 9%20SCHWEIZER%20KURSBU CH%202019%20engl%20p.p df

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Lucerne panoramic train reservation’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.