Interlaken to Montreux in a day on Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 14:02:24 #812526

Hi everyone,

Understand that the Interlaken – Montreux leg via Zweisimmen of the GP line is very beautiful and want to try. (since I plan to get a Swiss travel pass)

Is it worthwhile doing this in a day spending 4 hours to and another 4 hours back ?

Struggling to decide if I should spend a night at Montreux, but I just have 3 nights in Switzerland and prefer mountain views at B Oberland which I have chosen to be my base.

Castle and lake is not my favourite though happy to see if there is enough time. More interested in seeing the vineyards.

Also wonder if I could also include Gstaad in this trip ?

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 17:19:29 #866277

Hi Tazbb,

Yes you could fit in the trip in a day I think. You can take regional trains back to your base town in order not to spend too much time on trains that day. Gstaad will be on this route – you could stop there on the regional train on the way back (rather than get off the Golden Pass panoramic train before Montreux). In fact you could just go as far as Gstaad if Montreux doesn’t interest you that much (but you will miss some nice scenery as you head into Montreux.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 18:07:29 #866278

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Do you mean Gstaad is along the route of regional train ? But what I see from the SBB apps, the regional train from Montreux to B Oberland passes through Visp, seems like Gstaad is only on the GP Line.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, since I shall be staying in the BO region, is Gstaad similar in terms of scenery ?

Still love to see the nice scenery near Montreux, quite a difficult decision to make as it will take me at least seven hours to and back. Normally, how long should I expect to spend around Montreux if I want to visit the vineyards and the castle if time allows ?

Thanks again !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2017 at 20:06:59 #866279

Dear Lucas

I have a similar query with regards to the GP train.

I will be taking the train from Interlaken to Zweismen and then switching over to the Panoramic GP towards Montreux. I intend to get off at GSTAAD but realised the time on the panoramic train from Zweis to Gstaad is merely 26 mins – is this a goo idea? Or shall i continue all the way to Montreux to expreience the train to the fullest and then take any regional train back to Gstaad?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

AG

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 22:55:52 #866280

Hello Tazbb,

SBB app shows fastest route by default. You need to include Via Zweisimmen to follow the GP Line. In the app settings there is an option to “Show Via”.

If you only have 3 nights in Switzerland make the most of your time in the BO. Much to see there rather than spending a whole day riding a train. Just my opinion.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 July 2017 at 22:59:22 #866281

Hi amitgilani and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You wrote . . . Or shall i continue all the way to Montreux to expreience the train to the fullest and then take any regional train back to Gstaad?

Yes, that’s a better plan if you are keen to spend time at Gstaad and are heading back to Interlaken.

If not returning to Interlaken then you could take regular train Zweisimmen to Gstaad then Panorama or regular from there on to Montreux once you’ve had a look around.

Some might argue the views are still the same irrespective of what train you take.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 5:56:56 #866282

Thanks Rockoyster

So If I understand your suggestion correcty- I should travel the entire route one way- Interlaken-Zweismen-Montreux (to cover the GP panoramic completely)

And return from Montreux to Gstaad on any train – get off at Gstaad for a couple of hours and then any train back to Interlaken from gstaad

We are staying in Interlaken so reaching Interlaken late as well from gstaad is fine

Is this reasonable?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2017 at 7:16:10 #866283

Your plan sounds good to me amitgilani. Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/gs taad ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 19:36:20 #866284

Hi Rockoyster,

I agree with you and I guess I shall follow your suggestion, and spend more time in BO instead.

Thanks for your help 🙂

• The thread ‘Interlaken to Montreux in a day on Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.